[iDC] Media dies more slowly than some would like

Myron Turner mturner at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Dec 9 17:34:46 UTC 2007

I was interested in the quote from Derrida, because I immediately felt
that there is something more than restructuration going on, one form
being absorbed by another.  The differences in technology make for
differences in experience.  What is reading for us was not at all
necessarily what it was for people in earlier times.

The medieval manuscript, for instance, is very difficult for us to
read.  Visually, it is quite different from the printed book; there are
very few visual clues. Punctuation, as we know it, for syntactical
division, did not appear until the Renaissance. Reading in the medieval
period was bound up in orality.  When people read, even to themselves,
they apparently moved their lips, read aloud, because reading was
embedded in community.  The last vestiges of communal reading as a
widespread phenomenon seems to have all but disappeared in the early
20th century, probably because radio supplanted the earlier practice of
people reading aloud to one another.  How many of us has the patience to
listen to someone else reading a novel to us?  Yet, that was not
uncommon in the 19th century.  Even the publication of novels differed
in the 19th century, often appearing serially in periodicals.  We are
(and were) willing to put up with this in radio and tv and and movies,
which took up the serialized format, which still remained grounded in a
communal sensibility.    But the solitary reader, which is what we have
been for the past 100 years, assumes an experience of independence from
external distractions and obligations.  All that exists, for this
reader, is the book.

Interestingly, as McLuhan foresaw, the Internet has returned us to
communal forms of reading, it has forged a bridge between the solitary
reader and the community of readers.   It is solitary, because it is
reader and screen.  But, on the net we don't read books; we read
"pages",  we read hypertext.  We read actively within a community of
interests.  And we read responsively, because reading on the Internet is
bound up in conversation.

Historic changes in reading change us; they change the angle at which we
engage the world.

Myron

Derrida: