[iDC] (no subject) - ethics

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Tue Dec 18 23:03:07 UTC 2007

What I find most problematic about Mark's post is the suggestion that,
on the one hand, iDC has a techno-apologist quality, promotes
"academic profiteering", and has many members who "risk hypocrisy"....
I don't necessarily disagree with the diagnosis of my own behaviour,
but.... while the post intimates that, on the other hand iDC should,
somehow, be activated in the service of "the political", through
collective action. Yet Mark has essentially told the group it is not
good enough, or political enough.

So what happens, does a light bulb suddenly come on and we all wake up
and go "gee, I've been risking hypocrisy all this time and I've never
realised it! Thanks Mark!" and begin the global political
interventions that have been sitting there waiting for us to
collectively work on, while we've been distracted by bourgeois ideology?

Or would we say that the task of activating the political is a bit
more complicated, because at each moment it is the ethical
relationship with one's collaborators which can either increase or
decrease the feeling of collectivity, and thus the action performed?
In that sense, there is nothing "pure" about the ethical tradition
(especially when reading it through the feminist ethical tradition).
It is precisely concerned with reality - the reality between us - and
not with the idea of politicised social change which occurs at some
point in the future if we all sign up to the programme.

Enough people on this list have been involved with enough activist
politics to know the futility of vanguardism. The suspension of the
ethical in the name of the political is precisely this: ignore how I
am relating to you right now because in the future it will be
different if we change what is "out there." But we are all already (in
our own ways, as Ryan suggests, and possibly quite incompatibly)
involved in our own "out theres". So let's not forget what happens in
here.

Cheers,

Danny

--