[iDC] (no subject)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 05:32:02 EST 2007

One small comment. I think that merely seeing Gaia as alive is not enough.
Afterall, we see animals and fellow humans as alive, and still easily kill
them.

What is needed is a participatory viewpoint, seeing the earth and its beings
as peers. Extending the peer to peer principles as applied to humans (and
recently well expressed by dignitarianism for example) to the whole of
nature.

As this indeed a practice, I personally like John Heron's approach, who
extends participatory practices to all living beings, including (if you can
accept its existence), to that of subtle beings. His book on Participatory
Spirituality, as well as his earlier work on cooperative inquiry (including
the book entitled Sacred Science), reviews such psychotechnologies and
methods to ground such insights in the bodymind.

I just returned from France, where the good news is that an extraordinary
turn has taken place in the awareness of the enviroronmental and climate
crisis (though action has yet to follow), and I've seen a lot of presence of
the 'decroissance' movement of Serge Latouche, including in the smaller
cities I visited.

The integral 'peer to peer' vision which I'm trying to develop at
p2pfoundation.net, along with a collective, is one that insists not only
that our communication and educational systems need to embrace this
distributred model, but that we also need a peer to peer energy grid.

One of the key aspects of peer production and governance, i.e.
equipotentiality, is very much related to Freire's earlier fomulation that
was cited here. Equipotentiality means judging people not as equals or
inferiors/superiors according to one benchmark, but accepting that everyone
has a different mixtures of competences, all of which can find a place in
the production of the common and all of which need to be equally valued.

If anyone is interested, I can send material on those different aspects,

Michel

On 2/8/07, mlahey at artic.edu <mlahey at artic.edu> wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> Thanks for your enthusiastic commentary.  Up an' at 'em!  Whew!
>
> I think that responding to some of the things you wrote could potentially
> be
> breaking points for communication barriers, so I'd like to respond to
> them...
>

> > >One environmental activist has said; "if we consider the Earth as alive
> we
> > >wouldn't be able to hurt her so much just to make a big building".
> >
> > well, personification is problematic, but surely the simple principle
> > that if one makes a change in the space-time continuum, that change
> > is experienced by all points in that universal continuum
> > simultaneously...
>
> Well, to be honest, I'm not speaking about personification.  I'm literally
> taking the stance that the planet Earth lives.  Even according to the
> biology
> class definition, which would reqire that the earth reproduce, that's
> possible.
> It would simply require us to think differently about what it means to
> reproduce.  For example, all of the living things on the earth are made
> from
> the materials of the earth.
>
> Interestingly, your mention of quantum principles touches on that which
> "scientifically" allows us the freedom to potentially see the Earth as
> alive.
> It also jives with many major religions, for example Buddhism, with its
> principles of inherent emptiness.  In quantum theory, it is the viewer (in
> all
> of her complexity and with major amounts of history!) who determines what
> appears before her.  It is our perceptions that rule our reality.  For
> example,
> there is a professor at the University of Hawai'i who has seen a Tibetan
> monk
> levitate.  He saw it when he was a child.  His scientist father said it
> was a
> "trick"/"mass hallucination".  Quantum theory says that this monk was
> literally
> re-arranging atoms with his mind.  Yes, if you meditate intensively
> enough, you
> can achieve even that.
>
> SO, let me just clarify, if this sounds far-out to you, you ain't seen
> nothing
> yet.
>

> > I think perhaps that Major Structural principles-of-action need to be
> > considered before the details can be hashed-out or even understood!
> > I am thinking this is the part of the discussion that is missing --
> > the assumptions around what education IS, what does success mean,
> > what is the price of social integration vs individual obligation...
>
> It is interesting to propose a mathematical formula to resolve this
> discussion.
> Let's propose it otherwise.  Let's say that in education, one can adjust
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html;
video interview, at
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm