[iDC] How does social media educate?

Alan Clinton reconstruction.submissions at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 17:53:34 EST 2007

I think that, to clarify what I take from Armin's discussion is that we need
to ask questions about how we participate in media culture.  We need to
question the relationships between such terminologies as "studying" a
culture/media phenomenon, "buying into" it, participating in it, or "using"
it.  Armin's reminder of how "social media" was coopted by big corporations
from hacker cultures reminds me of how (much more successfully than
academics and even social activists) corporations have understood (or
intuited) the lessons of the Situationist International in their ability to
engage in detournement of existing practices, technologies, and ideas.  We
need to ask why this is so and, in our own practices, studies, and
pedagogies, see what we can detour from the entities that have made quite
creative (if reactionary) uses of theft.  Part of this inquiry, of course,
has to take a psychonalytic dimension not only theoretically but in
practice.  Corporations, rather than arguing the virtues or vices of
narcissism, fantasy, and dream logic, have recognized their power and made
effective use of a human psychology which is far more deviant and eclectic
than anything found in traditional hermeneutics.

With this broader approach, I don't see any real contradiction between Armin
and Danah as long as we recognize that concepts like social media and their
more or less popular instantiations need not be static in nature.  In other
words, we neither accept or reject Youtube or MySpace or the like, but
recognize their existence and influence as well as their more deleterious
effects.  But we also study them to see a) how successful they have been in
monopolizing social and personal "desire" b) what we can learn about desire
from them  c) and what we can steal from them either in terms of rhetoric,
interface structure, or ideas to promote a truly social media rather than
what is now, as both Trebor and Armin note, a largely superficial and
commodified social instantiation.

Key to this, as educators and media practitioners, is never to forget that
desire is what motivates people, whatever their age--to deny this is to
ensure our irrelevance.  Pure critique and pure acceptance, of course, both
cede desire to corporations.  What we need is to produce mediated desire in
the service of whatever revolutions will help make a more just, creative,
and free distribution of world cultures.

Alan Clinton