[iDC] How does social media educate? :: a playlist in response to danah

Fred Stutzman fred at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Feb 14 14:27:40 EST 2007

09. All privacy is created equal.
The privacy expectations and assumptions of developers are being directly
integrated into the social fabric constructed by web 2.0/social media.
Unfortunately, we are not all equally powerful to be transparent, thus
limiting the value we can get from systems and architecture that depend on
disclosure and reciprocity.

This ties into a quote from Barry Wellman: "The less one is powerful, the
more transparent his or her life. The powerful will remain much less
transparent."

-Fred