[iDC] How does social media educate? :: response to alan re desire

Ulises arsalaan1-idc at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 13:33:59 EST 2007

Alan,

I apologize for taking such a long time to respond, but I wanted to add to what
you said about desire. I agree with you that the concept of desire (in Deleuzian
terms) can be a useful tool for tracing the 'leak points' within a prevailing
system of authority. Desire is thus closely tied to the  alternative design and
use of technologies, and not just in the sense that we 'want' a technology to be
subversive.

Desire is social—it is an aggregating force that gathers all sorts of human and
non-human elements into a unified purpose: to give shape to the social. Desire
seeks to actualize what virtuality suggests, it seeks to make ‘real’ (actual)
new designs of the social hinted by the virtual Whole. It begins with the
realization that “We are no longer sure about what 'we' means” (Latour, 2005, p.
6): new technologies and new politics have altered previous formulas of what
constitutes the social. It then takes the form of an ardent need to ‘name’ this
new assemblage (how did this new ‘we’ come into being?), to trace the unfolding
of the virtual into actuals, and the enfolding of the actuals into new
understandings of the virtual. This in turns gives shape to a new generation of
politics and technologies that re-shuffles what ‘we’ means, and in this way
desire is recycled and perpetuated. Desire, according to Deleuze and Guattari,
is thus not a neurotic search for what we do not have—it is not a negative
expression of deficiency, but a positive expression of the power of assembly; it
is what allows an individual’s social needs to combine with others’ needs to
form new assemblages that can guarantee the preservation and continuation of the
individuals by enhancing their collective power.

Desire begins from connection; life strives to preserve and enhance itself and
does so by connecting with other desires. These connections and productions
eventually form social wholes; when bodies connect with other bodies to enhance
their power they eventually form communities and societies. Power is, therefore,
not the repression of desire but the expansion of desire.” (Colebrook, 2002, p.
91) </blockquote>

But desire, as latent power, is also open to manipulation and appropriation. A
social order is the management of desire, its channeling into particular modes
and molds. Here again technology plays a central role, as it can encode desire,
set the parameters and regulations for its actualization: code is law (Lessig).
Our desires can be thwarted and substituted by technology, ‘grounded’ according
to somebody else’s agenda, even without our awareness.

constituted by desire. Desire is not good or bad, just productive and dynamic.
It is fair to say that Deleuze and Guattari's desire is the principle of
transformative, constitutive action that Marx called "labor"—prior to its
appropriation within a structure of surplus-value extraction. Desire is
heterogeneous and mobile. Social order is built on its homogenization and
stabilization—the organization of the small, fluid, multiplicitous "molecular"
forms of desire into big, institutional "molar" macrostructures: "To code desire
is the business of the socius." This binding of desire is a
"territorialization"—a fixing in place, setting of boundaries. But desire is
"nomadic," always seeking lines of fight or flight, pursuing more objects,
connections, and relations than any society can allow. Consequently "there is no
social system that does not leak in all directions." (Dyer-Whiteford, 1999, p.
180) </blockquote>

Perhaps this would be a good way to talk about the 'liberating' as well as the
'repressive' tendencies of sociable web media. What desires does sociable web
media engender? How does sociable web media 'code' desire? What macrostructures
does it solidify and what lines of flight does it simultaneously facilitate?

***

Colebrook, C. (2002). Gilles Deleuze. London ; New York: Routledge.

Latour, B. (2005). Reassembling the social: An introduction to actor-network
theory. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press.