[iDC] Second Life as educational tool

dave at edtechtalk.com dave at edtechtalk.com
Thu Feb 22 18:42:55 EST 2007

More proof I suppose that secondlife is the model T of virtual space. Not
as fast or slick as some of the other options available... clearly not as
good on gas. (Although I note that the KWH comparison was made against a
worldwide average and not the average of someone who is currently using
said computer and has the financial support to purchase broadband.)

But this model T is making it so that every (well connected and video
encarded) computer user can, for most I would guess just once or twice, go
in and consume some '3D' space. I'm also interested by the Wii talk, and
with the motion sensor controller (the first of many no doubt) it does
offer the chance to meld first and second life as it were.

The issue with many of the critiques that i've seen of our model T is that
they criticize the first real success of a new way of doing things for
having all the failings of a trailblazer.

Yes. It is bloated. It runs on too much power. The interface and designs
are limited. It is run by a company which profits (one would assume) from
running the environment. It slows down, depending on who you talk to
somewhere in between 15,000 and 38,000 concurrent users. It's proprietary.
The things created inside are not portable. All true.

But it does win at being first to come to the public domain. It's allowing
people like me to apply for research grants that are going to explore how
to interface 2D and 3D digital domains. (if you'll pardon the expression)
We are going to take some students in and see what they do... It's a
project that no one would have funded for me in Croquet. No matter how
good that particular dream promises to be.

I'm not sure what the value of 'virtual space' will be pedagogically. In
the interim its greatest value is allowing us to try out a few ideas, to
get some funding and some leeway to poke our noses in. To talk to some
people about their experiences. To help, perhaps, in the development of
the next generation of 3D spaces, by contributing what we've learned.

I wonder, finally, if there is a research group that is accepting
educational research from virtual space already out there... if not... I'd
be more than willing to start one.

cheers. dave.