[iDC] An Inconvenient Youth and Second Life

giselle beiguelman desvirtual at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 15:50:30 EST 2007

<<But not for a second do I buy the argument that synchronous virtual worlds
like Second Life are the future of the net.>>

I agree. Nevertheless is a very interesting art space. SL has a curious
cybrid format. I mean a space between on and off line networks that can be
used as new layer of our territorial experience. I'm working now on a new
project conceived for SL, exploring its potential as a cinematic space and
the resources its inhabitants can use in order to get different points of
view (flying, zooming etc).
It seems to me that the cinematic experience you have there announces in
some ways what can be the the migration from machines of motion to machines
of vision, or the new cinema. Peter Weibel wrote some years ago a long essay
on digital images that could be a point of departure for that discussion:

"The nineteenth century was obsessed with motion - with illusions of motion,
and with machines of motion. There were two kinds of machines of motion: the
first tried to analyze motion, the second to synthesize motion. The analysis
of motion was the task of the camera; the synthesis of motion was the task
of the projector. The evolution of cinema in the nineteenth century can be
attributed to two major trends: firstly, to the progress in experimental
physiology and psychology leading to the Gestalt psychology, and secondly,
to the advances in machines attempting to adapt and transfer the
physiological mechanism of perception into machines capable of the visual
simulation of motion and - herein lies the problem - not into machines of
per­ception.

Therefore, what we know as cinema today is in fact already a reduction of
the nineteenth-century principle that began to investigate machines of
vision, but finally reduced them to machines of motion. There is the
moving-image industry with its motion pictures, that is to say: the
Hollywood system. Its code is a legacy of the nineteenth century, and
reduces the ­initial exploration of machines of vision to machines of
motion. Only the avant-garde cinema of the 1920s, 1950s and 1960s maintained
the original intention of creating machines of vision. Classical cinema,
therefore, already diminished the initial enterprise, which was about
perception. Perception was reduced to the perception of motion, ­and
remained on the retinal level because there was no pursuit of the question
of how our brain perceives the world. People constructed machines with a
kind of graphic notation - "la methode graphique" (Etienne-Jules
Marey<http://www.expo-marey.com/>)
- of motion. This method can be said to be still valid, tragically enough,
today.

What Marey did was to analyze, and deconstruct, motion with his ­famous
graphical method. It made no difference whether a drawing machine was used
or, as in the case of Eadweard
Muybridge<http://photo.ucr.edu/photographers/muybridge/>,
a photographic machine. Both Muybridge and Marey soon realized that ­it is
not enough to analyze motion, but many other machines had to be used in
order to project, to synthesize, motion. We may conclude this interpretation
with the fact that cinema was invented in the nineteenth century. The
twentieth century merely turned the nineteenth-century inventions into
standardized mass media - including television, which ­became a consumer
apparatus. As a side-effect, we simultaneously turned this machinery not
only into mass media, but also into art, an individual ­approach.

Cinema is a writing of motion (cinematography); it is just a machine that
simulates motion for the eye. The avant-garde, from Dziga
Vertov<http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/03/vertov.html>to
Steina
and Woody Vasulka <http://www.vasulka.org/> , kept to the initial idea:
machine ­vision - not machine motion. Vertov gave us the term *Kinoglaz *,
the camera eye. With the advent of video (Latin: I see), it was clear that
we had to make a paradigmatic shift from imitating and simulating motion to
imitating and simulating vision with the help of ­machines. We had to change
from cinematography (the writing of motion) to what I would call the writing
of seeing: opsigraphy, from the Greek word *opsis * (as in "optics"). Or
even to opsiscopy, the seeing of seeing - in other words, the observing of
observing mechanisms. In cyberspace, for example, when you see yourself and
your actions as an image, you are already in opsiscopic space. You are
observing yourself in a ­picture that you observe; it is an observation of
the second order. In fact, cyberspace is the beginning of opsiscopy: of
machines that see how we see."

In short, I think SL can be considered an opsiscopic space that allows to
transcend sometimes the basic descriptive movements we do in our FL (First
Life) and because of this points to new directions in the digital arts field
in general and digital images in particular.

GB

www.desvirtual.com
http://netart.incubadora.fapesp.br/
http://del.icio.us/desvirtual