[iDC] partial vs. peripheral attention

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Tue Jan 2 12:26:02 EST 2007

Brian Holmes wrote:

The machines we use, and that use us, that channel our attention into
particular patterns, were not invented and were not produced by means
of peripheral attention.

No, they weren’t. Other useful patterns, however, were. And are.

This is not an argument against improvising or free associating or
dialoguing spontaneously. But it is an argument against promoting those
capacities above all others.

Read my post. I didn’t promote it above all others. As usual, the mere
suggestion that alternate epistemologies should be considered on their
own terms has elicited an extreme and unwarranted defensive reaction.

I really find it childish in the worst sense of the word, sorry. If
everyone goes on saying oh yeah, sure, to such arguments, in the end
we'll live in the paradise of the totally manipulable population, and
the few who do reflect on what they are doing will control the many,
even more easily than they do now.

Well here I disagree. I think that currently in our world the few who
control the printed word control the many who do not, and they do so
via economic, legal, military, scientific and other systems that
leverage the organizing power of literate communication (forms,
copyright, contracts, ledgers, bylaws, bills, deeds, treaties, degrees,
patents, etc.). Now, I am not saying that literacy is not valuable and
useful, especially since I am one of those who enjoy its many benefits,
but I am saying – and have been saying on this list for a long time –
that there are opportunities to build bridges between oralists and
digitalists that MAY enable each to strengthen their economic and
social positions relative to the dominant literate hegemony of WIPO,
WTO, shareholder value, newspeak, etc. by leveraging and integrating
related skillsets and value systems. So if I’m cautiously optimistic
about the possible evolution of networked youth culture it is in fact
specifically in the modest hope that if such bridges are built it may
help slow the suicidal industrial tendencies of literate society by
integrating ‘diffuse awareness’ in the economic value chain. It’s not
something that I expect to happen quickly, if at all, but what exactly
are you offering as an alternative?

Cheers,
John