[iDC] The Mystery of Reciprocity

Brian Holmes brian.holmes at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 4 20:34:03 EST 2007

To use the title I have placed here (in response to Keith Hart's post)
is already to admit defeat and to fish around for something beyond it.
Great intellectuals from Charles Taylor to Axel Honneth have insisted on
the human need for recognition as a motivating factor, and this does not
mean simple narcissistic flattering. What it does mean as Keith
indicates is that ethics in the democratic age is inconceivable except
as an ethics of reciprocity. And yet the latter is so hard to find, not
only on lists but generally. The only extant solution (and I believe
this is what is at work in Wikipedia and elsewhere) is to make a finely
crafted intentional object (a text, a piece of art, a movie - a work, in
short) and await the often anonymous and almost inevitably impersonal
expression of judgment or approbation from others. That's what happens
most easily in our object-oriented culture. But that is not what one
dreams of. Not me anyway.

Perhaps the word we are looking for is neither participation nor
reciprocity, but emulation. Emulation suggests two things. First, that
you imitate or even become the other, out of sheer admiration. Second,
that you try to go beyond both him or her, and yourself - which does not
preclude shared pleasure in this self-overcoming. I have never been able
to immediately and spontaneously like the anthropology of Rene Girard.
But he does suggest that the deadly situation of what he calls "mimetic
rivalry" is overcome when the object that the two rivals imitate and
both want to appropriate is immediately posed as being beyond them both,
so that both are drawn beyond themselves. This would certainly help us
all out on these email lists! The implication is that one can cultivate
this kind of self-overcoming, by making objects which facilitate it. The
further implication is that such cultivation could be extended
throughout the mass institutions, like the school system. Yet emulation
can never be a rule or an imperative, but only an invitation appearing
between equals. Why do people bother to respond? Different things draw
them on. Distinguishing among those different things, and among their
causes or sources, is of the highest importance. Whether the invitation
is heard or not soon brings us back to the ethical mystery of reciprocity.

all the best, Brian