[iDC] The Ethics of Participation

mlahey at artic.edu mlahey at artic.edu
Fri Jan 5 12:14:06 EST 2007

Dear Folks,

Keith: hey, if being hijacked by the anthropological classics provides some
insight, they why they heck not?

But, I feel that some of the extremely technical anthro language in this thread
is obscuring a subliminal conflict in the way we discuss culture and
reciprocity.

Often, when we introduce a social gesture, it is ignored or rejected as opposed
to returned (as we would like).  On the web or in real life, it doesn't matter.

Imagine a different world in time not far away: America in the 1960's.  Fool's
Crow, the last of the truly great Native American holy people, who knew a time
before Europeans, who did not read or write.  Fool's crow gave his belongings
away on a constant basis.  When a reporter admired his elaborate, cast silver
and turquoise squash blossom necklace, he took it off and gave it to her.  When
jobless relatives were eating him out of house and home he simply continued to
divide up his things and portion them out according to how many people were
sleeping on his floor at the time.

Some have posited that this strategy aided survival in the time (ice ages) when
the first Native Americans crossed the Bering strait.  They had such small
groups that if someone died, they actually survived *worse* than if that person
survived.  hence, dividing your pie to keep everyone going was the appropriate
way to not die.

some Native Americans used to have a tradition of once a year, giving all of
their belongings away and starting from scratch.  Also, those who killed more
buffalo than they could "process" (meaning, skin, tan hides, dry meat, store
and carry) were punished by having all of their belongings thrown away and
scattered on the prarie.

there are more cultures around the world that exhibit similar behaviors, but on
to the point.  In these cultures, when someone indicated that they liked one of
your posessions, you just gave it to them.  Of course, *RECIPROCITY* dictated
that if they asked you to give it back, you would.  This of course gave rise to
a complicated system of ettiquite in which you did not casually ogle other
people's belongings, or you did not casually invoke friendship or some other
social gesture.

In Kieth Basso's book "Portraits of the Whiteman" his breif (and hilarious)
ethnographic study of Indians imitating annoying white people, one can clearly
see the Indians' contempt for the too-frequent, too-early, too-casual and
too-sloppy social gestures offered by whites.

So what's the conflict that I mentioned before?  Unfortunately, almost
everything published (especially in the anthropological classics) is being told
to you through European-colored glasses.

Then all of this analysis (which sort of means, putting what actually happened
through the filter of a Westernized mind, and then publishing what's left) gets
sort of mishmashed with what we actually experience, and we've got a fine stew
of big words and concepts with 100-page bibliographies attached, but not
necessarily any more clarity on how culture works or why things happen, and
ESPECIALLY not on our relationship to the whole thing.

In my experience, starting from the epicenters of WASP culture and working
outwards to affected (infected?) regions, non-reciprocity is practiced as a
dominance strategy.  You offer a handshake, and someone denies it.  They see
you as "beneath" them.  You're speaking to someone, and they cut you off and
turn away.  Gestures of contempt.  Of course, there are much more subtle ways
to practice it.  It is most subtle when a large number of reciprocities are
punctuated by a small percentage of non-reciprocities.  The direction of
non-reciprocity determines the direction of dominance.

Dominance is an extremely hot issue in Euro culture.  My theory is that after
feudalism was toppled by a series of revolutions before the nation-state era,
"freed" serfs did not create an entirely different culture to the one they
always knew.  Instead, they simply duplicated it on a smaller basis.  Everyone
was still trying to scramble to the top of the dog pile, to wear red and velvet
and ermine.  In fact, that's what drives our materialistic, heirarchical society
today.  Let's see: having lots and lots of children who can work or be sent to
war for you.  Having a cool iPod that other guys can't afford.  Building
Empires.  Suburbs.  Enclosing the commons.  Yeah, all of those things could
definitely result from the delusionary pursuit of the social position of a
mideval feudal lord.

Also, not returning reciprocity (of attention, approval, anything) is such a
common method for gaining dominance that even on the web, it pushes our
buttons.  Yet there is another side to this game.  When everyone demands
reciprocity (in order that they not end up dominated), reciprocity becomes a
prison, our social life becomes a prison.  We learn to give in order to force
others also to give.  We learn to withhold in order to punish and subdue.

We have to even *invent* things to elevate, in order to have things to negate
about others.  I would take personal hygiene as one example.  I can't count the
times when I've heard people groan about "smelly" "oily-haired" "oily-skinned"
or "hairy" Indians, or Italians, or Blacks.  Why is it that having manicured
nails lacquered with toxic polish, straightening or removing one's body hair,
and chemically deodorizing oneself, is such a desirable activity?  Because it
allows us to look askance at those who have not mastered this technique.

One could view the entire category of technique as susceptible to similar use.
it has played a huge role in the history of racism.  Can't yodel?  Weeeell,
we're into yodel here, so you can just mosey on.

If we ever want to solve these problems, we would have to thoroughly, deeply,
radically think up an entirely new social structure from scratch.  To be
successful, it would probably have to be "crazy" by current norms.   Ready set
go?  Sigh.

Malian.