[iDC] The Ethics of Participation

Trebor Scholz trebor at thing.net
Sun Jan 7 09:03:27 EST 2007

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your comments and many thoughtful contributions to this list. It's good to be reminded if we go on for too long. Criticism is valuable. But at times people roughen each other
up, not entirely in the name of dialectics or high standards. Other readers start feeling intimidated and stop contributing simply because they do not have time for the tough guys. Conflict
is desirable (and even crucial) as long as it is aimed at arguments.

Keith Hart wrote:
"we should keep lists like this one going rather than sell out to the forces of capital concentration."

Personally, I enjoy long texts on lists even if they are not professionally safe, distilled and mulled over for months or years. That's the strength of discourse networks: people don't have to
wait for two years until the book or print journal is out and the burning issues are already history. I think it's hard to make assumptions about what people do or do not like. I agree,
however, that long essays are not conducive to response writing. Short, provocative posts are much more likely to trigger participation. And reciprocity, especially for people who post for
the first time, encourages continued engagement.

However, contrary to your reading, I don't have problems with periods of silence on this or other lists. In fact, I think that a month of high traffic followed by "time out" is rather a sign of a
maturing network. Traffic alone is not an indication of a lively group. Fewer posts once in a while do not mean that subscribers don't read, bookmark, or forward posts. There are many
forms of participation even if not all of them equally contribute to communal value.

Best,
Trebor