[iDC] Re: The Ethics of Leisure

Jean Burgess jean at creativitymachine.net
Tue Jan 9 18:37:46 EST 2007

Hi everyone, long-time lurker, etc. I've really enjoyed the
discussions on this list so far. To introduce myself, I'm completing
a PhD called 'Vernacular Creativity and New Media' at Queensland
University of Technology. But rather than being too long-winded, I'll
just point you to my research blog: http://creativitymachine.net

A few thoughts:

I believe that Rojek's appropriation of 'serious leisure' comes from
Robert Stebbins, who is generally credited with coining it, and he
has explored it across several books. As well as two other categories
- from memory, they were 'casual' and 'project-based' leisure, I
think.  I definitely have my doubts as to how far those distinctions
can be pushed in relation to contemporary new media participation, or
'convergence' culture, but still, it's important work.

Also, I may have missed it being mentioned in this discussion, but
two or three years back there was a lot of attention given to the
Charles Leadbeater's work for Demos on the 'ProAm' phenomenon - which
is most definitely describing purposeful, ambitious, persistent forms
of non-professional participation across a range of domains (science,
research, sport, creative practice). The main point being that
voluntary, 'serious leisure'-based forms of participation are now
central, not peripheral, to the market and government.  The report is
available as a free pdf download here:
http://www.demos.co.uk/publications/proameconomy/

But again, I'm not at all sure that 'casual', ephemeral forms of
participation, especially en masse, aren't even _more_ important (or
perhaps should be, especially from an 'ethical' perspective) than the
'serious' or 'proam' ones.

And, as others have suggested, probably one of the most pressing
issues is the tension between the idea of participation as agency or
enfranchisement, and participation as a form of free labour that is
required before we even appear to _exist_.  An opposition that is
probably too stark in the face of real experience, but some of the
debates around this stuff at least tend to assume it exists.  So,
inspired by the recent holidays, what about the right to 'useless
unemployment' - forms of leisure that require an investment in time
but leave no commodities behind - time spent reading books, say?

Cheers
Jean