[iDC] Re: The Ethics of Leisure

Judith Rodenbeck jrodenbe at slc.edu
Wed Jan 10 18:34:12 EST 2007

Trebor,

Did I call for a moral ban on lengthy posts? I don't think so. You might
call this a "slow" response to the "continual partial attention" thread.

Yes, I recall an earlier discussion about gender and participation. I've
been on and off lists since about 1991, the pre-Spoon days of deleuze.
Gender has always been a problem. So has post length. This isn't to say one
shouldn't have an innie or an outtie or even a mix-and-matchie, or one
shouldn't send long or short posts but it is to say that both those sets of
properties need to be foregrounded as problematics of this medium. (I'm
leaving aside the question of professional/non-professional investments,
which are also germane.) In this regard, actually in both regards, I think
Alan Sondheim's work for the last 15 years and the discussions around it
(including the last brouhaha on nettime, the feints and spams, the trolling,
the marshalling of authorities, the unsubs and the forwardings, the egos and
hystrionics--on all sides) have been exemplary even if the discussion never
seems to move forward very far, at least for its major protagonists...

What I was pointing out was something a bit more intensive, if you will,
that has to do with gender and labor. I suggested that continual partial
attention has long existed as one of the determining conditions of a
feminized underclass (which I hope I don't need to unpack here)--which
Frazer and Warren rightly link to domesticity. To see it described as
something "new," then, is to see a gendered history rendered invisible; and
then to see it take on a positive valence--"data obesity=good!" "ADD=good!"
"mega-connectivity=good!"--is disturbing. As some blogger noted happily of
the new Mac iPhone, (paraphrasing) "I can make a phone call when I'm
asleep!" (b/c the phone feels your face or something). For many, these are
the real life conditions that steadily render our fleshly life less present,
conditions of constant laboring and the low intensity conflicts that
continually suppress bare life in favor of "connected" life, in fact that
implicitly privilege "connected" life over those other, "slow" things. Any
"ethics of participation" has to take that into account.

Judith