[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Jan 12 23:01:11 EST 2007

A couple of questions which I think are fundamental to the practice-
based PhD:

1) The PhD is fundamentally a research training qualification, and in
different countries and institutions the research/creativepractice
homologies are more or less developed. Is the practice component seen
as i) research in itself, ii) somehow equivalent to research but not
exactly the same, or iii) not research but a reflexive form of
practice which requires academic writing to secure its contribution
to knowledge (or transferability)? In my view, there are no right
answers to these questions but they are more or less determined by
the institutions responsible for the money, with governments taking a
much stronger role in the Commonwealth countries than in the US, and
a range of different approaches among the non-English speaking
countries which others will know more about than me. The point is
that one needs to have a viable definition of research, and be
prepared to make a strong case for the role that practice plays in
the research qualification.

2) There are a whole lot of useful questions in other professions
that are relevant to this discussion. In particular, I'm intrigued by
why there isn't more discussion of professional doctorates such as
those found in disciplines like engineering, business administration
or clinical psychology; which seem to have similar issues about the
inseparability of the professional domain from disciplinary
leadership, and could provide useful models. My gut feeling is that
there is a lot of anxiety about branding and the PhD is surely the
most exclusive brand among research qualifications, with a near-
mystical appeal for the artist-academic who may or may not have a
very strong academic research orientation in their work. I'm
surprised at how little benchmarking with other professions seems to
have taken place with some of these qualifications (which vary
greatly from institution to institution as far as I can tell).

Another off the cuff:
3) What role does laboratory practice and training play in the hard
sciences, and how would those be equated with craft skills in the
creative sector? Would this question have implications for how we
conceive practice-based creative research?

Anyone interested in this discussion may wish to check out the PhD
Design list which has a whole bunch of experienced people discussing
these issues:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/phd-design.html

Best regards,

Danny