[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Sun Jan 14 05:03:52 EST 2007

The situation in different countries can vary greatly.

The concept of a terminal degree in creative practice has never existed in
the UK, or many other countries. Yes, an MA was conventionally the highest
degree you could hold in Fine Art, but you could find ways to turn this into
a PhD by framing your work within a discipline that could account for it and
had the PhD option available. For example, a digital artist doing a PhD in
computer graphics, having already done an MA in Fine Art. Places like
Middlesex University (London) had this option setup in the early 90's so
that candidates could do a PhD whilst working within a creative arts
context. Ohio State offered similar possibilities, with its computer arts
program situated between its School of Arts and its Supercomputing Centre.
These initiatives prefigured the emergence of the practice based PhD by a
number of years.

The existence of degree inflation has been noted for years. It use to be you
could get by with a BA. Then an MA was a requirement. Now a PhD is becoming
the requirement, especially for jobs in academia. Of course you need none of
these, or any other qualifications, to be an artist, and we should try to
remember that. We are not talking about educating artists here but how
knowledge economies and their communities are created and validated.

Personally I have no idea how to educate an artist. I wonder if that is
possible.

Regards

Simon