[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Kevin Hamilton kham at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 15 16:40:05 EST 2007

INTRO:

We're not considering a PhD program here at Illinois yet, though I know
it's on our department's UK-originating Director's mind. I suspect that
the push will come soon, and it will come for design, rather than for
studio art practice. I'm not against the idea, and like Saul I suspect
that it may be necessary for survival of the work I value, but I'm
extremely wary.

Here as in many other research universities, funding and support for the
arts are slimming, and the pressure is on to justify art "research"
within the broader economic and institutional climate. It's within this
context that I've been foraying into the sciences here, and based on
these experiences that I'd like to offer some observations.

I understand the enaction of a practice-based PhD to entail a more
methodical identification of artistic practice as research. Here are the
challenges to this that I've observed. Forgive me if I'm rehashing what
some of you have already been through with your home departments.

CHALLENGES, BRIEFLY:

1 - Curricula and pedagogy for art and design at the undergraduate and
graduate levels widely varies, undergoes little inter-institutional
examination or critique, and is often still regarded with suspicion by
even young professors who doubt that art can really ever be taught.
"Hidden curricula" dominate.

2 - Institutions and the curricula they oversee are rarely transparent
to students at the undergraduate or even graduate level.

3 - Collaboration between artists and scientists, or even justification
of artistic research within a scientific paradigm, faces a significant
challenge in the area of evaluation.

4 - Most undergraduate and graduate art curricula pay little or no
attention to methodology. (Design seems to be a little better at this.)

5 - The "apprentice model" for PhD research, combined with restrictive
tenure and funding models, creates an environment that discourages
creativity, critique or service.

6 - Areas of artistic practice that don't easily fit into the processes
and practices of institutionalized research-based inquiry stand to lose
their support and protection, as peer disciplines cautiously align
themselves with dominant economic forces.

WHO:

For positionality's sake - I'm in my fifth year of a tenure-track job at
a research university where science and engineering dominate. I am
jointly appointed to the Painting and New Media programs within the
School of Art and Design at the University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign. The School is comprised of Art, Design, Art Education
and Art History divisions, and is located within the broader College of
Fine and Applied Arts, where our peers are the Departments of
Architecture, Dance, Music, and Theater.

I identify more as an artist than a designer. My education was an
institutional mix - a small liberal arts college to start, then a
traditional art school (where I majored in Painting), and finally a
large research university for graduate school (M.S. in Visual Studies).
Because it's not uncommon, and because I think it's worth remembering in
the space of this conversation, I'll humbly confess to applying to
college out of high school based on colleges I knew of from watching
Basketball on television.

CHALLENGES, EXPANDED:

1 - Curricula and pedagogy for art and design at the undergraduate and
graduate levels widely varies, undergoes little inter-institutional
examination or critique, and is often still regarded with suspicion by
even young professors who doubt that art can really ever be taught.
"Hidden curricula" dominate.

Art education at the undergraduate and graduate level, even at its best,
is discursive only at the local, institutional or even classroom level.
All over the world, instructors are, as modern art dictates, reinventing
the wheel with their students (or perhaps leaving the wheel just the way
it was when they were in school). Outside of a few popular cultural
resources (textbooks, for example, or the PBS Art21 DVD series, or art
magazines), art is taught in all manner of ways and covers all manner of
subjects. I'm increasingly struck by how different my field is from that
of my university peers in this way - we can't really depend on our
graduate students having any sort of common experience, especially as
MFA programs begin to attract students without undergraduate degrees in art.

I celebrate this pluralism, and certainly will make no appeal to canon,
but I worry about the situation on several levels. In my opinion,
non-discursive plurality doesn't make for diversity, it produces opaque
and inadequate education.

Firstly, it's difficult to make the design of curricula and outcomes
clear for students when there is no defined outside body or bodies of
knowledge. It's all too easy in this situation to produce BFA or even
MFA graduates with scant information or preparation for functioning in
the world. Most related to this IDC thread, it's difficult for me to
imagine what prior knowledge or experience PhD programs would require of
their applicants.

Most worrisome to me, when there is little exchange or critique among
practitioners and fellow instructors at the global level about
education, precedent takes hold. Precedent in art education in this
country leans toward an exclusive apprentice-model that relies on
notions of self-expression and heroism, and that's exactly what I see
springing up everywhere, even under the rubric of postmodern critique.
This is not a pedagogy of access and discovery, but one of implicit
learning and socialization into the professional worlds of galleries or
academic cliques. (Richard Cary describes this well as a "hidden
curriculum" in his book Critical Art Pedagogy.)

I'm not asking for the kind of national oversight and standards that I
hear taking hold abroad. That's the last thing I want. I'm asking for
more application of modern and postmodern self-critique at the
inter-institutional level. We have organizations of national
accreditation and scholarship about art education, but they're not
nurturing such a discussion, and I don't think they're the ones to do it
anyway. This discussion isn't about standards.

And again, my excuse for voicing this concern is that I can't imagine
how PhD programs could function when there isn't much agreement or
exchange between institutions about what a BFA or MFA comprises. There
may be more such exchange taking place than I'm aware of, but if so then
we should ask why it's not happening elsewhere - it's not at CAA, and
it's not present where I've been. (It's all we can do to make time for
discussion within our department, let alone with those outside - see the
CPA thread.)

Looking to science, our potential partners in PhD research, we see even
less attention to pedagogy. Teaching is far from respected, core courses
are moving to distance-learning content-delivery models, and I suspect
that much of the material will always be more defined and clear than
that of arts courses.

2 - Institutions and the curricula they oversee are rarely transparent
to students at the undergraduate or even graduate level.

Based on this thread and other discussions I've been part of, a key
distinction between MFA and PhD work would be a requirement to
"distance" oneself from one's work to understand it as a discursive and
contextualized addition to existing bodies of practice and knowledge.
To some extent, MFA programs require this as part of a Master's Thesis,
but I suspect that this exercise is often more of an expanded "artist's
statement," a locative exercise rather than a discursive one. Students
describe their work in the terms learned from theory, and in relation to
the work of other dead or living practitioners. But there's rarely the
same sense there of contribution and critique among equals that the
educational machines of other disciplines require.

I don't believe that such a practice is always desirable. It certainly
carries its own politics - here at Illinois I've witnessed some
interesting political critiques launched from within against this system
by Humanities scholars . But for those who DO wish to pursue PhD-level
research, some degree of ability to understand art education outside of
self-discovery seems to be required. For many reasons, chiefly those
outlined in my first point, I don't believe that there will be many able
to do this. I wonder even about the gender, class, and race dynamics of
such preparation as it currently exists, or doesn't.

An ability to understand education as moving through an external set of
discursive fields, or even as a negotiation of flawed institutions, will
be especially important for artists who are the first in their
institution to act as Researchers. Navigating established structures of
labor and evaluation that are, in some cases, wholly counter to their
own enterprise will take more than a little understanding of
institutions as plastic. This is not something I've seen to be commonly
part of undergraduate or graduate art education, and it's not something
that's likely to grow with the turn towards education as
"content-delivery" fostered by some distance-learning initiatives.

Heck, I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't even thought about the
difference between a research institution and a teaching institution
until I  started teaching.

3 - Collaboration between artists and scientists, or even justification
of artistic research within a scientific paradigm, faces a significant
challenge in the area of evaluation.

It's interesting to me that, as far as I can tell, so far this thread
has focused on the practice-based PhD participating in the paradigms of
science, rather than the humanities. (Maybe I have the wrong
impression.) Of course that's where the funded research is, but it's
also the hardest transition to make. How often are practice-based PhD
programs in art allying themselves with quantitative research, compared
to qualitative research methods?

The safest collaborations between artists and scientists rely on
established divisions of labor to produce little new knowledge or
practice. That is, the scientist comes away with new data or tech, the
artist comes away with an exhibited object, and the host institution
comes away with a new banner story on the homepage. Wouldn't actual
productive research, risky research, by artists within a paradigm of
science require more difficult navigation of differences?

In such cases, the criteria for success, as measured for purposes of
tenure, funding and matriculation, are difficult to determine. I'm
barely familiar with quantitative research methods, let alone
qualitative ones, but I'm beginning to suspect that PhD students in art
may have to enroll in Statistics classes if they really want their
research to count alongside that of science. I don't even know what that
would look like.

I don't have many positive suggestions here yet (we're working on it -
join us at our CHI workshop in San Jose if you want to help). But as I
see it, art research that is recognized by universities as substantive
will have to negotiate some deep and profound differences around goals
for success. OR, art research will have to be relegated a similar
position to that of say, Art History, where PhD scholarship is sometimes
recognized as something other than research but still valued (if not
very funded.)

4 - Most undergraduate and graduate art curricula pay little or no
attention to methodology. (Design seems to be a little better at this.)

Work with scientists and artists in the classroom has made me painfully
aware of this. Students who choose to work in theme-based, conceptual or
sited practices, rather than materially-driven disciplinary work,
receive little instruction in how to produce, explore, and discover.
I've learned from observing HCI practices that, ironically, the sciences
have it all over the arts for equipping students to explore and iterate
without actually building the Thing. This is especially evident in
New/Digital Media, where art students sometimes spend so much time
learning the new tool needed for a project that the resulting object is
premature and misunderstood by the artist.

Methodology seems to be the first thing learned by Masters students in
other fields. Like Richard Cary (again, props to his helpful book
Critical Art Pedagogy), I don't hope for established and accepted
methods for artists, just for a consideration of methodology's role and
some instruction in options. From Fluxus on up to more recent Oulipian
digital media projects, methodology for artists has often been seen as
an end in itself. I love that stuff, but the kind of exchange and
discourse required for art as research necessitates a different
approach. Students even as undergraduates would need to be offered some
exposure to methods as means. A PhD student in art would need to be
already versed in the role of methodology in research.

It sounds like some of the new PhD programs are accounting for this by
redesigning their Masters programs as well, which makes sense. But this
raises the question of what a terminal MFA is, of course. Either way, if
the institution of PhD programs causes more consideration among art
educators about how choices of method and process affect and determine
the resulting artifact/experience, then I'm all for it.

5 - The "apprentice model" for PhD research, combined with restrictive
tenure and funding models, creates an environment that discourages
creativity, critique or service.

Others have touched on this already in regards to the mentor vs
apprentice model, I just wanted to echo this. It's a serious and real
concern - I'm still shocked and adjusting to what the traditional PhD
apprentice model effects on the levels of labor, education, and
exchange. As far as I can tell, the sciences rely on the labor of RA's
in a way that the Jeff Koons of the world may celebrate, but which is
detrimental to the production of new knowledge or free-thinking
researchers. I've learned a great deal about collaboration already in my
short work with those in the Sciences, but many of the spaces I've seen
are far from collaborative.

This seems to happen despite the best wishes, ethics or critiques of
young faculty - anyone who doesn't have their students writing papers
for them, teaching classes for them, and writing grants for them, stands
to end up inadequately prepared for tenure review. Add to this the
pressure to raise funds through outside sponsorship, and there's a
recipe for highly prescribed research that often neglects real needs.

The only solution I can think of to this would be to look at some
different models of funding and labor in regards to New Media. From my
(very brief) and thirdhand experience, Holland's Waag Society, for
example, seems to have devised some good strategies and models to
protect service, theme-driven research and motivated, recognized labor.

6 - Areas of artistic practice that don't easily fit into the processes
and practices of institutionalized research-based inquiry stand to lose
their support and protection, as peer disciplines cautiously align
themselves with dominant economic forces.

In the same way that art or design research must struggle to protect
autonomous, exploratory, accountable research, it has to find ways of
using any newfound credibility to protect other practices, other models
that may not be able to justify their existence within a research
university structure. Traditional crafts or individualized work MAY find
shelter under lingering institutional desires for a visible, if
marginalized, arts domain to aid in the construction of cultured
citizens. But if these or other practices express critiques of the
founding principles of a university's dominant practices, there will be
little understanding, and possibly hostility. Those who can find ways to
practice as art researchers and support themselves and their departments
need to build in protection for others.

LASTLY:

I don't intend the concerns expressed here to serve as a criticism of
efforts to initiate a PhD program for artists, but as a collection of
observed and experienced challenges that I've encountered as part of
finding a place of relevance and support within a science and
engineering research university. Some of these challenges I've begun to
find some answers to. I'm interested in hearing, for anyone who's made
it this far in this reflection, which, if any of these you have
experienced as well, and whether you've found some success. Perhaps Mary
Anne or Margaret can share whether meeting any of these challenges have
been part of the planning process so far?

Thanks,

Kevin Hamilton
Assistant Professor, Studio Art
http://kevinhamilton.org