[iDC] re: "Praxis-based" Ph.Ds

Margaret Morse memorse at comcast.net
Mon Jan 15 23:14:01 EST 2007

Dear IDCs, we've have more substantive posts
since my last response.  May I say that everyone
is at least somewhat ambivalent about the
practice-based Ph.D. and some are totally
opposed.  However, there are also acknowledgement
of possibilities that could be kept in mind in
bringing this knowledge format to realization:

--Pamela is truly in a interdisciplinary
situation  "a joint position between a very
traditional school of art and traditional human computer interaction
institute in a school of computer science at a tier 1 research university
in the United States.  These departments/schools/institutes represent
vastly different species in the landscape of
higher education."  She goes on to identify
specific differences between teaching practices
and student status in MFAs versus PhDs.  I find
her practical comments and her final comments
encouraging:
"To conclude, I see the purpose of the praxis - based PhD (of which the
arts is not the only praxis-based Ph.D.) as the following:

To close the gap between a type of discipline practice that refuses to
"mind the gap" and dive deep into its crevices.

For programs to gain access to the university power and resources
infrastructure that place emphasis on the PhD model of research and pedagogy.

To work with students in a hybid model that is both mentorship and
apprenticeship.

To support transdisciplinary scholarship in a hybrid practice that extends
beyond the individual walls of the university into a larger
internationally recognized community of practice."

--Chris raises several issues, but the one I want
to highlight here is her conclusion:
"lets simply acknowledge the constructed dynamics
and parameters of the educational marketplace in
which we are operative  Š. and let's see if we
can envision, grant ourselves agency  and work
our way / a way through it  ( talk about a
utopian notion! )  Perhaps those working their
way through these newly formed PHD  research
programs will make significant contributions in
this direction.  Certainly, this discussion is
one of the most positive step I've witnessed."

--Henrik's longer post has other points,  but he
is definitely against benchmarking.  Further:
"Just with its [the Ph.D's] very structure it
reproduces a growing institutionalization of the
society. The way art organises knowlege has'nt
got anything to do with an academic knowledge
system." Nontheless he is excited to watch the
academic sausages being made, along with the
power struggles involved.  "Quite similar to art
and style discussion. Fascinating, as Spock would
say. (((-:"

I responded to Danny Butt's most recent post
already and perhaps too harshly (I asked for more
specifics about the inevitable process of
destruction the practice-based Ph.D. brings about
he suggests) since it is a clear expression of
his stance, which I hope I am fair in
characterizing as strongly opposed.

I posted an appreciative addition to Simon's
comments on artists without degrees.

--Kathy expresses a number of pragmatic concerns
she has as a chair of a department instituting a
practice-based Ph.D.  I think her "off-wall
concern" about collective Ph.D's is good to
think.  She concludes:  "I do appreciate a
combined synergistic approach to theory(research)
and practice and have learned much from the
filmmakers/video artists who have worked to make
clear their engagement with the tools they work
with, thus clarifying their questions THROUGH
their work. So, if this "practice" of working and
theorizing can be made clearer through this
process of PhD work, then more power to it. I
hope that on each of our departments we can make
room for any and all of these approaches, and not
succumb to the limitations of professionalism and
certification that lives well in academia.
Artists need to write and articulate their own
processes these days and I am excited by this
approach."

--Thanks to Jack for referring us to James
Elkin's "Theoretical Remarks on Combined
Creative and Scholarly PhD Degrees in the Visual
Arts."  I have to admit I don't have it and it
appears to be crucial reading.

--Kembrew's educational corporate sponsorship
prank is delightful.  Like many others, I teach
about tactical art in my courses and this example
is a warning to us to watch it.  One of my
students last quarter, Jessica, did a similar
stunt for a more limited audience re the campus
Information Technology.

--Saul's longer post concludes: "The real
question do we believe that purpose of the arts
is to propose critical models capable of
resisting the instrumentality of positivism and
pragmatism of industry or are we to become an
integral component of the culture industry in
which our own products will be determined by what
the market will support.  .....- It seems to me
that it continues to be in our interest as a
society to sustain the creative tension the
distinction between commercial and critical
culture generates - I believe that any program
committed to educating artist at this time must
be one capable of producing students committed to
critical rather than functional ends."
	I haven't dealt enough with the structure
and content of the specific courses we teach in
my department(s) here or I wouldn't have to
explain this: I can safely say that I and all my
colleagues teach and do their research using
critical, not merely formal and definitely not
corporate approaches.  One strand of research
represented by two colleagues has a direct
relation to social participation and cultural
change and others employ a variety of critical
and independent approaches.  Being in a public
educational system means that many of our
undergraduate students have never seen or known
about art before they reach our doors--"street"
smarts are hard to acquire in suburbia and the
urban streets can be deadly. We eschew commercial
purposes in all our efforts--we belong to a
research university for a reason.  If I have ever
seemed to convey otherwise, I wish you to know
that no such message was intended.  If we succeed
in our collaborations with sciences and
engineering, it will not be because we are
furthering a corporate agenda.

--Kevin's describes the state of teaching in the
arts as "non-discursive plurality." The
challenges he outlines suggest a deplorable
situation in the arts.  Mark's research seems
apropo as one remedy in identifying the "hidden
agenda" of art practice as a whole, bringing a
latent discourse to life and offering a coherence
that is currently lacking. I can't speak directly
to Kevin's experiences because I come out of film
studies, a highly discursive discipline with a
(perhaps too strongly) defined methodology.  I
find Kevin's post moving and will keep his
closing comment in mind:
"In the same way that art or design research must
struggle to protect autonomous, exploratory,
accountable research, it has to find ways of
using any newfound credibility to protect other
practices, other models that may not be able to
justify their existence within a research
university structure. Traditional crafts or
individualized work MAY find shelter under
lingering institutional desires for a visible, if
marginalized, arts domain to aid in the
construction of cultured citizens. But if these
or other practices express critiques of the
founding principles of a university's dominant
practices, there will be little understanding,
and possibly hostility. Those who can find ways
to practice as art researchers and support
themselves and their departments need to build in
protection for others.

--Mary Anne (co-moderator) has commented on
several of the above posts in her last email.
She ends her post in defense of the positive
outcomes one might expect from a practice-based
Ph.D:
"...having Arts Ph.D.s would change/influence the
confines of what is academic knowledge/practice,
ect.

Many traditional and text based fields are now
using multi-media formats as means of
expressing/articulating ideas, which is more
representative of our multimedia social landscape
and the different kinds of literacies we practice
daily."

Trebor has set the 20th of January as the date
this moderation will end on.  In a way, we have
come so far, I don't know what more will be said
in the remaining time, but I might be surprised.
Thanks.