[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Erin Manning emanning at alcor.concordia.ca
Tue Jan 16 10:10:29 EST 2007

Just a few words from a Canadian lurker:

I think Simon's email makes a lot of sense. In Canada we have not yet
developed a culture of research-creation PhDs (the term research-creation
has been institutionalized, however, and now represents a granting category,
despite the fact that very little theorizing has gone into what it
means...). At Concordia (Montreal), which arguably has one of the most
vibrant art faculties in Canada, there is real resistance to a PhD, the
argument being that if there were a PhD in art, artists would be forced to
have PhDs in order to teach at a university. It is not a serious argument, I
believe, as the MFA would still be the "terminal" degree and, as Simon has
argued, the category of "PhD in research-creation" should interest people
who want to develop in a slightly different area than "pure art practice"
(if there is such a thing). At UQAM (a French university in Montreal), there
is a PhD in art, with a tendency, however, not to be very theoretical in its
approach. So the question as to whether it's really "research-creation" they
are doing at the PhD level is up for grabs. Another option in Montreal - and
a very good one, I believe - is an interdisciplinary PhD (Concordia has two
of them, one called the PhD in the Humanities, the other called SIP -
special interest program). These PhDs can be practice-based (you don't have
to write a dissertation) and they tend to produce innovation because the
focus is on defining the terms of your own practice (you have to set up a
committee, organize 2 years of coursework across the university, think about
how this interdisciplinary practice can assist you in your artistic goals
etc). I supervise a number of these PhDs and am often very impressed by how
the students manage to combine the different fields of research. My goal
(here in Montreal and in a new book series at MIT called Technologies of
Lived Abstraction, which I direct in collaboration with Brian Massumi) is to
think through how art produces its own research criteria, and to develop
these research strands philosophically (and vice versa). This, it seems to
me, is quite different from simply applying philosophy (or theory) to art
practice. I find that although many of the students doing PhDs get less art
done than they might have liked to (if, for instance, they weren't so busy
learning new concepts), their approach to how art produces thought does, in
the end, produce innovative work. That then allows them to create bridges
between different kinds of practice (philosophy being one of them) rather
than think of research and creation as two completely different processes.
Erin