[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Simon Biggs simon at littlepig.org.uk
Tue Jan 16 17:22:09 EST 2007

I am not sure I would be envious of the UK model. The economic envelope here
is so much smaller than the US, with consequent implications for the scale
at which things get done. Many Universities here have also been
corporatised, although most of the older (research oriented) institutions
have not had the pressures upon them that leads to this.

In the UK there is no tension between the MA and PhD options. The MFA is
another question, but we do not have that. Therefore the PhD does not
threaten any existing paradigms of pedagogy, although it does disturb some
notions about what an artist can do, how their role can be constituted and
why they do what they do. Some people find this disturbing, others exciting.

Personally I am not risk (or change) adverse and am always open to give
things a go, so long as you have a backup where you can revert in a crisis.

Regards

Simon

Simon Biggs

simon at littlepig.org.uk