[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

shelly silver silvernyc at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 10:06:36 EST 2007

Dear All:
I've been on this list for a while, and am always impressed with the
level of discussion. It seems that many people on this list are those
that will be formulating the praxis PhD programs.  These programs
sound exciting, but I have reservations, most of which have been
pointed out already by Simon Biggs, Kathy High, Robert Labossiere and
others.

What I'd ask people on the list, who both teach and are active in
their art practice is this.  Imagine that you had just gotten your
undergraduate or MFA degree.  Would you look forward with
anticipation to having to get your PhD before being considered for a
teaching job?  Would this necessitate going directly for a PhD before
your practice was even established - possibly before you even knew
what that practice is? What would this mean to you financially?
These questions might eventually apply directly to some on the list
who don't have a PhD and are not yet tenured.

I teach video and film to undergraduates at Cooper Union and graduate
students at the School of Visual Arts.  I love the idea of a PhD
being there as an option, I've been more than tempted myself.  But as
soon as it becomes a prerequisite for teaching, perhaps even at the
adjunct level, won't this change the mix of who teaches?  In my
experience, it is crucial to have active artists as part of the mix
of people teaching in art schools.  If academic research is of no
interest or use to these artists, the entry bar will be raised such
that these artists are excluded. Margaret Morse's impressive list of
artists and filmmakers to be studied at UC Santa Cruz (Barry, Godard,
Marker, Deren, Brakhage etc) are all worthy of deep academic study.
But how many of them have/had terminal degrees?  As Simon asks, what
MAKES a great artist or a great teacher of the arts.  I'd say that
the paths are many, and that these paths should be left open as much
as possible.

The results I've seen of work coming out of mixed theory/practice MA
programs have been disappointing.  Much of the work was either
illustrating academic arguments or suffered from  poor conception and
craft.  I'd assume this was because of a lack of focus or time.  I
didn't get to see the papers or research they were doing.  It is
possible that the writing was of a very high level, or that there was
not enough time to do either properly.

It would be optimal if a PhD could be an additional option for
artists, as opposed to the only path for entering academia/teaching,
but it seems that once a more advanced degree is available, that
degree eventually become the prerequisites for University teaching.
In my experience, researching several Praxis-based PhD programs, the
emphasis has been on the academic thesis as opposed to the creative
'practice' component, which is much harder to quantify/evaluate from
an academic point of view.  Perhaps that will change, at this point
it's a bit a round peg and a square hole.

Is there an alternative way to facilitate the many collaborations and
links between other fields/departments/etc without a PhD program?
Why can't these links be made without a PhD program - Jill Scott's
project Artists in Labs is just such a project, with no degree
attached.

All the best,
Shelly Silver

--