[iDC] iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Mary Anne Staniszewski stanim at rpi.edu
Wed Jan 17 14:52:36 EST 2007

First, Thanks so much Margaret for your helpful summaries within this list.

Second,
I think it might be of interest to respond to Simon's comment regarding:

    "Most of the debate on this list so far has concerned issues around
     changes in US advanced degrees...However, the international
     situation actually does effect the US situation, even if when in the
     States the rest of the World seems a distant echo."

This is not to say that we in the U.S., as a culture in general, are not
pathologically uninformed about what is happening
beyond our own borders......

However,
I want to point out that one of the key motivations for and
"defenses of" a praxis-based ph.d. was precisely what was happening beyond
U.S. borders, in Europe, internationally.

It was due to the fact that a number of institutions outside of the United
States had, what was then, within the past ten years,
initiated Ph.D.s in the multidisciplinary and electronic arts.
It was deemed imperative that university scholarship and artistic practice
be set within an international frame.
So this was a key factor in our department initiating the creation of an
Arts Ph.D.

Third,
Regarding options for compiling/reworking the list‹and maybe all on the list
know this-- and I am repeating a bit of what Andrew Mount
referred to, but to be specific: an archive of our discussion so far can is
at:
http://mailman.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2007-January/thread.html

‹Mary Anne