[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

shelly silver silvernyc at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 14:55:23 EST 2007

Dear Myron Turner:
Quick clarification.  Cooper Union offers only a BFA, which is based
on artistic practice.  The department I work in at SVA offers a
traditional practice-based MFA in photography, video and related
media.

My experience with mixed theory/practice MA programs is as a visiting
critic or a member of a jury of student work.   It is here that I
noticed the lower level of work produced.

  I think it's also useful to note the ballooning size of graduate
departments.  Some are quite small (which I think is appropriate),
others number in the 100's, a practice which I find questionable.

Best,
Shelly Silver