[iDC] Thank you to Margaret Morse and all contributors. Introducing Tiffany Holmes.

Trebor Scholz trebor at thing.net
Sat Jan 20 16:27:09 EST 2007

Dear all,

I'd like to thank Margaret Morse for her moderation (!) and raise my hat to the many contributors to this thread about the practice-based Ph.D.:

A. G-C., Andrew Mount, Christiane Robbins, Danny Butt, David Hakken, Dew Harrison, Ellis Godard, Erin Manning, Henrik Schrat, Jill Scott, Jack Stenner, Kathy High, Kembrew McLeod,
Kevin Hamilton, Lynette Hunter, Mark Bartlett, Mary Anne Staniszewski, Myron Turner, Nina Czegledy, Pamela Jennings, Patrick Lichty, Saul Ostrow, Shelly Silver, Simon Biggs, and Tom
Sherman, and the many many covert observers who participated in unknown ways.

http://mailman.thing.net/pipermail/idc/2007-January/thread.html

The question of publication of material appearing on this list came up. Commercial publication of iDC texts of any kind requires the explicit consent of all contributors. In the not so distant
future there will be the first iDC Reader (more about that later).

My mission for today is to introduce our next moderator, Tiffany Holmes, who is an artist and Chair at the Department of Art and Technology Studies at The School of the Art
Institute of Chicago. She will continue our exploration of topics in media (art) education by considering truly interdisciplinary curriculum on the undergraduate and MFA-level.

Take it away, Tiffany.

Best,
Trebor
=

About Tiffany Holmes:
Holmes’ installation work explores the potential of technology to promote positive environmental stewardship. She exhibits widely in international and national venues, including the J. Paul
Getty Museum in Los Angeles, the Interaction '01 biennial in Japan, ISEA, SIGGRAPH 2000, World at rt in Denmark, Digital Salon ’99 in New York and Madrid, and the Viper media festival
in Switzerland. She writes about her work and research and lectures in venues as diverse as the International Symposium on the History of Neuroscience in Zurich, Siggraph ’99, Next 1.0
in Sweden, and the Computer Games, Digital Culture conference in Finland.

With a diverse academic background in painting, animation, and biology, Holmes situates her work at the intersection between artistic, biomedical, and linguistic modes of bodily
representation. With a BA in art history from Williams College, Holmes received a MFA in painting from the Maryland Institute College of Art and an MFA in digital arts from the University
of Maryland, Baltimore County. To promote her interdisciplinary artistic practice, the Society of Fellows at the University of Michigan awarded Holmes a prestigious three-year fellowship.
She earned an Illinois Arts Council individual grant and an Artists In Labs residency in Switzerland. Currently, she conducts research in eco-visualization, or audiovisual software that shows
real time consumption of electricity to promote conservation.

Holmes is currently Associate Professor, and Chair of the Department of Art and Technology at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago where she teaches courses in interactivity and the
history and theory of electronic media as well as environmental art.

http://www.tiffanyholmes.com/