[iDC] sharing "new media" curricula/potentials

Adrianne Wortzel sphinx at camouflagetown.tv
Fri Jan 26 10:33:27 EST 2007

Dear All:

Congratulations on this terrific forum. The following are ruminations
on my own experiences, but I put them forward in case they may be of
interest.

I am an artist who is also a Professor of Communication design at New
York City College of Technology in Brooklyn New York, as well as an
Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the Cooper Union for
the Advancement of Science and Art and a member of the Faculty of the
Interactive Technology and Pedagogy Certificate Program at CUNY's
Graduate Center. This litany of credentials was achieved almost as an
aside to a struggle to create conditions to allow the development of
meaningful and effective curriculum for the advancement of creative
work in any discipline in these institutions. By creative work I mean
any endeavor in any discipline engaging conceptual development
embedded in new technologies. My driving point here, simultaneously
considered "visionary" and "totally insane" by some of my peers (and
that's not helpful either way), is the importance of putting forward
"invention" in the classroom as the overall umbrella for developing
curriculum.

To sum up prior to the short digressions below, at any one or more of
these institutions, I am involved in these endeavors: listed in the
order of my favorite things to do from 1 to 4.

1.  The creation of labs and production facilities for innovative
research and practice out of which newly appropriate curriculum can
develop.
2.  Individual interdisciplinary courses.
3.  Developing protocols in an institution for considering curriculum
development solutions as a process, not a "package"
4. Full programs housed in an upper or new division, which are linked
to individual departmental courses plus new courses.

Cooper Union
At Cooper Union I was invited to move from the Art School to the
School of Engineering in 1997 because the truly visionary Chair of
Mechanical Engineering instituted a course called "Design, Illusion
and Reality" (sort of reminiscent of Lacan's Borromean knot
J[http://web.uvic.ca/~saross/lacan.html#RSI_and_the_Borromean} J This
course is for collaborative projects between art, architecture and
engineering undergraduates and is offered on different topics each
year - some recent topics being: Urban Planning, Building Bridges,
Robotics And Theater, Inventing The Inventor. Currently I am teaching
"Where Will We Live?  Self-Replicating Habitats" with a roboticist
since a high point of "Building Bridges" was a collaborative student
project which designed a self-replicating and self-repairing bridge
for the Bering Strait.  In each course, whether students are creating
something that is  "real" or conceptual they explore both the
"environmental" conditions their product or process is subject to as
well as develop appropriate research methodologies. These courses
have had a profound influence on students who have taken it as they
mingle in each other's disciplines and adds some credence to
developing a whole program based on its premises of  "real, imaginary
and symbolic". (documentation, in need of update, is at
http://www.artnetweb.com/wortzel/robottheater/
This course is supported by a lab which is both a video production
facility and a robotics lab.

NEW YORK CITY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
Citytech is one of twenty-one Colleges in a cumbersome City
University of New York system and the only College considered a
"technical" college. Therefore, for many years it was considered a
"trade" school, which really sells it short.  When I got there in
1998 it was apparent that the faculty consisted of outstanding
researchers and innovators in their fields who were trapped in
outdated curriculum and overwhelmed by a staggering course load only
recently reduced from 27 to 24 hours. For me, the College offered a
luscious and inviting menu of expertise -Departments in the Division
of Design and Technology include: Physics, Architectural Technology
Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Systems,
Entertainment Technology, Mechanical Engineering And Industrial
Design.  Also included in that Division is my dept, Advertising
Design and Graphic Arts ("ADGA") Up till now, this has been the only
"content" providing dept. Currently, ADGA houses the digital video,
multimedia, and IT courses. We also have a new Administration that is
ready and willing (with resources) to revolutionize the College. I am
on many a steering committee for this and it is being accomplished in
the three ways listed above which are not ultimate solutions, but
steps in a process.  For instance, I am initiating a new CUNY-funded
lab which is a combination of a video production studio, physical
computing facility and robotics laboratory.  The College is also
reorganizing depts. and they are building facilities such as a new
huge video production studio for college wide use. I hope to get back
to this forum in the near future about overall programs being written.

ITCP PROGRAM  AT THE CUNY GRADUATE CENTER
The Interactive Pedagogy Certificate Program at the CUNY Graduae
Center offers doctoral students a chance to develop their own
technological tools for teaching in their discipline.  This is quite
nice because it drives these students who are about to enter
classrooms as teachers away from the teaching 'packages" towards
their own, custom-made pedagogical tools, and gives them an
opportunity to start from scratch in considering how they would
optimally want their students to learn their subject and whether or
not they want students to engage in interactivity with a teaching
tool and/or with each other.  Workshops in technological tools
accompany the courses according to student need. Both the faculty and
the students are from myriad disciplines.  The web site at
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/provost/apit/gcitp/ - contains past syllabi,
but actually that is all changing now as we are going to do it as a
seminar series for the first time this semester. It has been decided
to make the courses more experiential in terms of hands-on
development of tools.