[iDC] (no subject)

august august at develop.ment.org
Wed Jan 31 09:01:22 EST 2007

hey there.  I just joined the list recently (on recommendation from an
ex-professor of mine who's been instrumental in my development) and have
been intrigued so far.  Mostly, because I'm in a new PhD program of
media arts and it is quite clear that no one really knows what is
"research", or how to make it economically viable and culturally
sustainable (especially as the University tends to isolate itself from
the rest of the world.)  This is kinda confusing and exciting at the
same time.   So, I'm reading through the IDC archives with much
interest.  thanks for the great posts.

> Basically, what I find wrong with all these conversations on iDC is
> they're so cheery and positive. How can anyone be cheery and positive
> right now? Part of the art of living in civilization is to be
> relentlessly negative, relentlessly critical, relentlessly lucid, and
> still not let that get you down, find the resources of pleasure and
> enthusiasm somewhere else than in the deluded belief that things are all
> right. Because they are not.

Yes, the world is not roses and butterflies....but I just wanted to
chime in here and say that I've heard another opinion on that matter in
lecture by  Norman Solomon.

take it for what it is.

Essentially, he recommends that activists be very positive and
optimistic (not necessarily cheery.)   The point being, we should save
pessimism for better times.....that negativism, does in fact get you
down.

all the best -august.