[iDC] Re: iDC Digest, Vol 33, Issue 4

Lucas Bambozzi lbambozzi at comum.com
Fri Jul 6 17:55:02 EDT 2007

In my humble opinion, the project Tisseli
mentions has been one of the most interesting
projects so far dealing with recent mobile media
for shaping 'tools' for minimal mediation (I
would call it 'reality-based interfaces', but it
might be a too long story). It suggests a
possibility for networking from//to "real life"
and public spaces -- not a communication between
private-to-private bubbles that most mediating
technologies tend to design -- foreseeing a
possible use of devices that could encourage
individuals to participate in the shaping of
public spaces, evolving awareness regarding
social reality

I like the expression 'to go out of "The House"',
used by Tisseli and would take it as an idea to
go public, as a possibility to shape the use of
the technology that has been dropped on us as
consumers. Can any community use face the
official powers and corporations strategies
mentioned by Eric? Not really, as corporative
thinking would rather tend to fabricate
"realities" according to their marketing needs
and it is somehow happening around web 2.0
discourses.

Back to Tisseli's project (Zexe.net, by Toni
Abad), I would really like to be optimistic
enough to foresee there a distribution of mobile
phone technology to the internet over a
"many-to-many architecture", which could/should
somehow shape the use of the technology.

Whether a strongly connected community will
produce independence, bring forward social change
or just add more hype over social networking
sites, is a further question. And to point it to
the Brazilian context is a really complex matter.

Cheers

Lucas Bambozzi

At 18:49 +0200 6/7/07, Eugenio Tisselli wrote:
> [...]
>change, a certain degree of antagonism (and
>hence, independence) is needed.
>
>So, for me, the central question is not
>necessary surveillance (although it is also
>important) but independence. I think that
>communities engaged in digital communicative
>practices should reclaim and protect their
>independence from local governments. Keeping the
>discussion out of "The House" is the only way
>that demands and compromises can hold some
>credibility.
>
>Best,
>Eugenio.
>

>>Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:29:26 -0400
>>From: Eric Gordon <eric_gordon at emerson.edu>
>>Subject: [iDC] city as social network
>>To: iDC at mailman.thing.net
>>
>>Hi everyone.  My name is Eric Gordon – I’ve been watching this list
>>for some time but I’ve made only a few contributions.  Perhaps as a
>>means of forcing my involvement, Trebor has asked me to moderate a
>>discussion on the topic that has lately occupied most of my time –
>>place-based social media and its implications for privacy, public
>>space, and democratic engagement.  Following the recent conversation
>>about Feedburner, I want to consider how that discussion might extend
>>to physical communities (neighborhood, organization, city) that are
>>enabled/bolstered/fortified by social web media.  Many community
>>groups and neighborhood organizations are using digital networking
>>technologies to foster community interaction (http://
>>www.ibrattleboro.com/).  And of course, what is widely known as
>>citizen journalism plays into this as well – placebloggers (http://
>>placebloggers.com) and Community Media organizations tend towards
>>hyperlocal networked content (http://www.cctvcambridge.org/) with an
>>aim towards reinforcing existing geographical connections.  The
>>processes that bind non-geographical communities in networks are
>>similar to those that are binding geographical communities – shared
>>interests, practices, goals, etc.    However, unlike traditional
>>online communities that have a basis in anonymity, digitally
>>annotated physical communities often rely on the full disclosure of
>>identity for their functionality.  For instance, when it comes to
>>neighborhood issues – it is important to know one’s real name and
>>location.
>>
>>And as city governments are seeking ways to adopt “web 2.0”
>>technologies into their existing “citizen management” projects, the
>>lack of anonymity and the simple traceability of social actions open
>>up new concerns.  Social media tools have the capacity to
>>significantly expand participation in local governance, but they also
>>have the capacity to trace citizen behavior and map social trends.
>>Cities are interested in this technology for the same reason that
>>corporations are – it offers valuable user data.   Politicians can
>>survey the concerns of their constituency; agencies can identify
>>problems in neighborhoods; and law enforcement
well, there are many

--
temp mobile: +49 (0) 1520 6453417

lbambozzi at comum.com