[iDC] Everything is Misc - extracts and intro

David Weinberger dweinberger at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 12:38:49 EDT 2007

Dave,

Thanks for kicking this off with such trenchant comments.

Some brief replies:

1. You're right to further muddy the distinction between data and
metadata. Tom Matrullo has some more great examples:
http://interimtom.blogspot.com/2007/06/search-can-create-what-it-seeks-and.html

2. In the book I do try to say that "the" miscellaneous pile is lumpy,
not flat. More exactly, the pile is unlike a real world pile in that it
is super-saturated with relationships. We use those relationships to
form something like localities.

3. Yes, there is a danger that the incumbent powers will unduly
influence what we see and what we make of it. That already happens, of
course. OTOH, we now have a powerful means of making meaning our own. Is
it perfect and pure? Nah. But, it's _better_ than it was. At least, so
it seems to me.

David W.
--

David Weinberger
Harvard Berkman Center for Internet & Society
self at evident.com
www.JohoTheBlog.com
www.EverythingIsMiscellaneous.com
Elevator statement on file with building supervisor