[iDC] Virtual Worlds, Education, & Labor

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Mon Mar 5 08:10:33 EST 2007

A very short contribution to what is a very complex issue.

It seems to me that in its very conception SL is a replication of the
dominant socio-economic mode of our time, the late-capitalist model
developed primarily (although not entirely) in the USA and its satelites. SL
has developed from and within the apparatus of globalised capital. That the
ethical systems that underpin such an ideology are then found to be those
that determine how SL develops should not be surprising. That money even
exists in SL provides sufficient evidence of this.

SL is a misnomer. It is not a second life but simply a kind of first life,
as constructed by a dominant elite, represented in such a manner that it
will function to further inculcate and embed its associated ideology on a
global scale. It will sustain the fundamental ethic of consumerism...that we
are all potential suckers or grifters (often both) and that nobody is
responsible for what happens to anybody else. In short, it is another rip
off culture.

Regards

Simon