Fw: [iDC] Howard Rheingold on Education in SL

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Mon Mar 5 17:25:31 EST 2007

Howard is quoted as saying:

"To me, the point has long since ceased to be whether or not this is going
 to be as popular as solitaire, but whether some truly useful innovation is
going to emerge."

Amen, brother!  But that punchline could be applied to a whole heap of
recent innovations.  Alternatively, you could substitute "have artistic
merit" or "demonstrate some obscure ideological point" for "be as popular as
solitaire" and it would still hold true.

There's a lot of genuine excitement as well as hype that's being mistaken
for real progress in the online environment (as in the offline environment)
...  Perspective is a hard thing to maintain and too often people who try to
maintain it are derided as out of touch, unimaginitive and/or negative. And
too often the genuinely innovative is ignored because its value is not
recognised. Picking winners in innovation has always been fraught, but
that's no reason to stop trying to innovate ...

Cheers,
Hughie