[iDC] misogynist search engines?

ndrw a at ndrw.net
Wed May 9 16:22:55 EDT 2007

I wasn't claiming that the algorythm appeared in a vacuum.  I was
attemping to argue (perhaps foolishly) that there is no inherent
sexism in this particular technology..  Rather, the sexism is a side
effect of the extensive languages the algorithm indexes.

here are some fun statistics!

				"he invented":			"she invented": 			ratio:
google:			1,060,000				164,000					6.463
yahoo:			1,340,000				241,000					5.560
microsoft:		268,511					30,054					8.934
ask.com:		244,100					22,800					10.706
technorati		240,216					240,216					1

It is nice to know that technorati's search algorithm is so precisely
egalitarian.  Kidding aside, either all of these search engines are
sexist in extremely similar ways, or are indexing similar data.  Why
are we singling out google?  because someone popularized an oddity
and posted it on digg?

Back to google, I'm getting different results than you are.  Your
results seem based on googling both words "she" and "cooked."  This
is how google treats generic searches, but it also includes pages
with both words in unrelated places.  All of the statistics above
were conducted by me, just now, and I made sure to include the quotes
around the phrase, defining it as a phrase search and not a keyword
search.

note that:  she cooked

returns 1,570,000

whereas "she cooked"

is 281,000.

I also want to point out that you are making possibly subjective
assumptions about usage of your keyword terms.  I notice that the
first result of "she looked"   is:  14 Responses to “Other Things
Kiera Knightley Wishes She Looked Like"
but your arguments are all assuming that all your results are linked
(?) verb usage of looked.  "She looked over the ledge" is quite
unrelated to "she looked thoughtful." and will definitely skew
readings of hundreds of thousands of unknown search results.

technicality aside, these revised statistics still support your
argument:

		cooked			looked			ratio:
he		201,000			1,830,000		10.427
she		281,100			2,930,000		9.104

There is still a higher ratio of she-looked to she-cooked than he-
looked to he-cooked, yet no "did you mean" suggestion.  This seems
anomalous.  My first thought, that I'm not sure how to verify, is
that there is a 250,000 threshold for a similar spelling.  Actually I
would assume that the threshold would scale in accordance with how
many alternative spellings are in the index.

I of course would never argue against you that many languages have
built in, often political agendas.  As to the authoritarianism of the
english language  I have always enjoyed Tense Present: Democracy,
English, and the Wars over Usage by David Foster Wallace, even though
he is rather smug.  I believe it's available online, although not
sure how readable it is in web form.

Best,
Andrew Macfarlane