[iDC] how long is a piece of string?

katharine.willis at archit.uni-weimar.de katharine.willis at archit.uni-weimar.de
Thu Nov 1 15:15:05 UTC 2007

Dear Brian, Mark,
I shall try to pick up and follow a few threads...

<brian>For me, ontology remains a question to ask about one's
destinations in time, not a series of labels to be applied toward the
technical utopia of transparent communication. Ontology: I mean, I'm
not against tags, but it would be a pity to arrive at a situation
where you can "find" everything, without ever knowing what you're
actually looking for...

Perhaps this arises because, as you say, ontologies and tags are
essentially ways of classifying and ordering. But  "A classified and
hierarchically ordered set of pluralities, of variants, has none of
the sting of the miscellaneous and uncoordinated plurals of our
actual world." (Dewey, 1989: 49 Originally published in 1925).
We seem to be immersed in some sort of basic need to categorise
things, people and places. A counterpoint might be Susan Leigh Star's
work (she's described as a communication theorist) on classification
and the role of infrastructure systems: She talks about 'rich and
interesting mess that occurs backstage in the doing of science. Some
of the elements of this mess include serendipity; unforeseen aspects
of timing and coordination; the physical constraints of things and
materials, including animals and tools; and the informal, backstage
processes of communication and argumentation that inform all
organizational life'.  Her approach is emphasize the role of
invisibility in the process by which classification orders human
interaction. Problems arise because categories are made and kept
invisible, and one way of disrupting this is to show how people can
change this invisibility through integrating and adapting it into an
everyday practice.

Suchman has taken this further in trying to understand the man/
machine interaction. She wrote a paper way back in 1999 about the
apparently uninteresting, but frustrating, fact that people in an
office couldn't use a newly developed 'large, feature-rich
photocopier'. The people who'd created the machine at Xerox couldn't
understand why such an intelligent machine was essentially useless,
so she did a technographic study over two years gave some insights.
Her approach was to 'locate artifacts within the sites and relations
of their everyday use'. She found that there was no such thing as an
'easy-to-use' machine, there was always some degree of learning
required, so that new forms of practice are culturally produced. And
in conclusion she recognises that systems development if not the
creation of discrete , intrinsically meaningful objects, but should
instead respond to the fact that:
  'Ethnographies of the social world work across the grain of
categories and distinctions- to recover just how the social/material
specificities they describe are assembled together to comprise our
everyday experience'

<mark>[Pask's] Conversation Theory. His Conversation Theory may be
worth revisiting for a way of thinking through how the act of story-
telling–as something that unfolds over time–produces a "shared" space
"between" actors resulting in "outcomes" to which neither can lay
claim to exclusive authorship.
So one question does this theory really help to uncover what it is
about conversation that produces share space or does it just help to
develop descriptions of abstract qualities? Of course it is useful to
be able to uncover some form of process of exchange, but IMHO fields
such as sociology are better able to explain situated human to human
interaction. In fact ethnographic and anthropological studies (such
as those of Suchman, Eric Laurier and Barry Brown's work) seem to be
able to reveal some of the features and structures of such exchanges
in a much more useful and contextual way. Can cybernetics and its
related approaches really offer ways of dealing and designing for
everyday socio-spatial practices?

<brian>Feedback is the endless perfectioning of structure, the
eternally corrective return. Whereas actual machines, in their
material singularity, are always what breaks down, goes off track,
falls catastrophically apart, with a little help from some impish non-
conformist, some lazy maintenance-man, some treacherous spare-parts
department. I'm not so much talking about hacking and sabotage as
about ideas and attitudes that get under your skin and start fiddling
with the dials on your inner android. Does the answer always have to
be correct? What about the truth of scientific paradox? Is there a
one-way ticket in life anymore? Is there a machinic irony of the
overdeveloped civilizations?

<mark>The critique of encroachment of the domain of the "addressable"
upon that of the "non-addressable" is long-standing.
Asking how we might narrate the (last remaining?) spaces "in-
between" (as Ian Sinclair does in Orbital London, or J.G. Ballard
does in Concrete Island for that matter) would inevitably to lead to
us down the line to yet another mobile application designed to direct
the tourist to that hidden cafe located "off the beaten path."
Perhaps "local knowledge" is best left local?

i want a satnav that helps me get lost

If we think about how space it seems to me it is one of the worst
victims of our need to structure and categorise experience. It is
caught in a homogenous straightjacket of definitions and rigid
infrastructures: Lat/Long, North/South/East/West, maps, addresses,
post codes etc. This can be contrasted against Varela's concept of
enaction, which Brian introduced, which allows for the co-creation of
observer and observed through the construction of their relation. In
our everyday life we experience space as enacted- it does not exist a
priori in some form of contained and constrained structure.
In Edwin Hutchin's book 'Cognition in the Wild' he introduces the
metaphor of  navigation as computation, which I find very useful. He
claims that  navigation and computation can be correlated because
they are both essentially about 'operating within an information
processing system'.  Because of this navigators often make mistakes
because they imagine that the reality presented to them by the
information matches the reality in the physical and social world. He
gives an example where a ship navigator describes his faith in a
nautical chart
' This little dot right here where the lines cross is where we are! I
don't care if the bosun says we just went aground, we are here and
there is plenty of water under the ship here' .
Accuracy within a system doesn't necessarily deliver an account of
reality that we would expect...

So it's not as simple as a case of a satnav that gets me lost because
there is an error in the systems translation of information, but a
satnav that can cope with ambiguity, that could represent in-between
spaces and offer 'wander' or 'spend an hour doing nothing in
particular' as an option. I'm sure there are examples of situated
technology projects out there which really respond to these issues...

I mentioned Karen Martin's and colleagues workshops on in-betweeness
and betwixt in my last mail (http://www.inbetweeness.org/
workshops.html). They seem an example of a good way to start to
investigate the non-categorisable spaces of the city, and how
transitional spaces are enacted. Of course, there's still the point
at which we translate this experience into a way of interacting with
the world, and there we will always need to negotiate some form of
common language if we have any chance of finding our way, or getting
lost for that matter.

Katharine

+++++
Geoffrey C. Bowker and Susan Leigh Star. (1999) Sorting Things Out:
Classification and Its Consequences. MIT Press

L. Suchman, Blomberg, J. Orr, and R. Trigg. (1999 ) Reconstructing
technologies as social practice. In Lehman, P. and N. Wakeford
(eds.), Analyzing Virtual Societies: New Directions in Methodology.
Special Issue of Applied Behavioral Sciences Journal: 43:3:.

Edwin Hutchins, Cognition in the Wild, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1995