[iDC] how long is a piece of string?

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Sun Nov 4 17:50:18 UTC 2007

On 3-Nov-07, at 11:14 PM, Mark Shepard wrote:

> Katharine,
>
> You write:
>
>> If we think about how space it seems to me it is one of the worst
>> victims of our need to structure and categorise experience. It is
>> caught in a homogenous straightjacket of definitions and rigid
>> infrastructures: Lat/Long, North/South/East/West, maps, addresses,
>> post codes etc. This can be contrasted against Varela's concept of
>> enaction, which Brian introduced, which allows for the co-creation
>> of observer and observed through the construction of their
>> relation. In our everyday life we experience space as enacted- it
>> does not exist a priori in some form of contained and constrained
>> structure.

All of these spatial "homogeneous straightjacket of definitions and
rigid infrastructures" are enabled by and are quite clearly the product
of - literacy. It is the ability to trace and fix and reproduce
coordinates via writing and print that has created the intellectual and
consequent social paradigms that have at once expanded our knowledge of
our world and limited our ability to 'enact' it beyond these rigid
definitions and infrastructures. Prior to the creation of these
literate definitions (addresses, maps, post codes, Lat/Long, etc.) it
was necessary to 'enact' space at all times. Such enacting is and was
the norm in oral cultures, whose members of necessity enacted myriad
forms of knowledge-as-experience that have since been fixed more or
less unalterably by our literate culture. However, our daily life even
today, as you point out, Katharine, is in fact experienced on a
microcosmic level as oral though it is constrained by our literate
architectures of mind and space, which accounts in part for the spatial
alienation that so many seek to escape.

> Yeah, sure. It's a dilemma of our contemporary condition. Where *am*
> I exactly, damnit? And simply knowing my coordinates, or my location
> on a map, doesn't really give me the answer I'm looking for.  Why we
> look to technology for these answers, beyond the merely pragmatic
> need of finding our way to a destination (goal) via GoogleMaps, for
> instance, continues to perplex me.

I believe that networked culture has far more in common with oral
cultures than it does with literate, and consequently when I  seek to
understand the dynamics of a particular aspect of networked culture I
turn to oral cultures for illumination. In this case, the question
asked is: "where I am ?" , when I am surfing the web on my iPhone (OK I
don't have one but wish I did!) while walking through an urban centre.
The answer, unavoidably, is that I am in hybrid space, defined equally
by rigid literate spatial coordinates (you are here and nowhere else),
and by the post-literate coordinates of dataspace, a sort of here,
there and everywhereness that is as amorphous as it is real,
particularly as characterized by a culture of user-engagement that
enacts space as a set of online relationships in the moment (i.e. I am
"in a chat room" or "on my friends' facebook page", etc.).

One question that arises then is how does this hybridity play itself
out in terms of the socio-economic power that is invested in each of
these spatial dimensions. Oral space - always enacted, subjectively
defined and utterly experiential - was once the only kind of space.
Where do we find our original oral spaces today? The triumph of the
imposition of literate spatial dimensions on macro-mythic oral
mindscapes is almost total. Songlines are erased, traditional lands
developed, historic spatial trajectories bisected by 12 lane highways.
And yet why should literate spatial dynamics - the "homogeneous
straightjacket of definitions and rigid infrastructures" that are the
foundation of literate capitalism, and that are the vectors of literate
space, be themselves immune to the same sort of challenges from
ascendant networked space?

Copyright is being challenged today. What if tomorrow latitude and
longtitude, fixed borders, street addresses and the rest, becomes as
outdated as today's IP laws, rendered irrelevant by the hyper-efficient
everywhereness and simultaneous porousness of datapsace, and the
shifting of economic power from fixed literate factories to shifting
networked playgrounds? This won't happen without a fight. Real fights,
because real wealth and power are at stake. What form are these
conflicts likely to take? Who has most to lose? Most to gain? Where
will the fault lines be? How can we pro-actively work to begin building
bridges that will span those fault lines to minimize the conflicts that
will be engendered? These are the questions that interest me. Don't
have answers but would welcome some...

My wife is calling us to come to lunch. My young daughter, drawing at
the table, says: "I'm already here." Time for me to go.

Happy Sunday,
John

--
www.johnsobol.com