[iDC] netporn midlife crisis?

Brad Borevitz brad at onetwothree.net
Mon Nov 12 16:55:35 UTC 2007

jordan's 6 scenes are certainly suggestive; i'm curious though, what exactly
they are meant to suggest about netporn and it's putative crisis.

are these set pieces offered to imply that the structures of reception, or
of the production of, pornography, its digital transmission, and its
circulation on the net -- between the laboriously constructed facades of the
pseudonymous personas of that domain -- are just a version of the same
structures which govern the sexual life of your average homo on the prowl?

if that were the case, it would be a similar proposition to my own posting,
in that there is an explicit extrapolation from a specifically homoerotic
context to a more general case; and in principal i'm in favor of such claims
-- if for no other reason than the perverse inversion that they perform.
but, of course, there is a politics of such assertions.

in the case of these 6 scenes though, i am caught on some aspects of their
specificity which i think might be interesting to make more explicit. what
does the writing reveal about the narrator in pieces (assuming that they are
meant to construct a singular protagonist -- certainly six different
narrators are possible)?

does it go without saying that N is a man? and that the rather
self-conscious construction of his masculinity is marked particularly by the
vulnerability of his virile member to the gaze. we cannot but recall the
complaint of some feminists (how many waves ago) that pornographic exposure
as objectification constitutes a kind of violence of the gaze which is
attendant on other more palpable violences which the body of the woman is
liable to suffer. later waves have of course reconstructed these claims to
allow room for the pleasures of being looked at; still, it seems worth
recalling when trying to understand what is happening in these scenes where
the construction of masculinity becomes scopic - and perhaps leaves other,
more active strategies of masculinity behind. because the question for
masculinity becomes how to protect its prestige, so invested in the
activities of a phallic drive. that is, might the gaping maw of vision have
teeth with which to sever that which the scion of man most esteems, from the
place in which he expects (the other) to find it?

this is a game of hide and seek, but this man takes out insurance on his
member so that its membership is guaranteed in perpetuity. he does not give
it up. he does not even risk it. he indicates both its presence and its
potency by indirection: he turns his back (which he will not proffer
either); he clothes it, enfolds it, or substitutes an armor of muscularity
for it. these strategies of fetishistic substitution partake of that logic
which reassures the man of of the presence of exactly that which he fears
may be absent.

the false and affected nonchalance of exposure, the feigned indifference to
it, is paired with the insistent preoccupation with the potential for
tumescence. the penis is never simply flaccid it is only ever on the verge
of demonstrating its power. in the one case where it is fully revealed, the
nakedness of the body is conveyed again by its substitute. the lump of
clothes at the man's feet is the sign of flaccid exposure; meanwhile, the
presumptively erect penis is the center of the other's slavish labors --
decidedly not the object of his gaze, for this would mean that the other has
pleasure at the man's expense. instead the man receives his services while
basking in the reflected power of his position -- standing as the other
kneels.

the pretense of exposure masks its ultimate refusal. the construction of
this masculinity gives not itself to view, but rather exposes the
constructed mask of phallic impenetrability. this is a noh play, not a strip
tease and what we see is tengu's mask (see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu>).

a second indirection is to the mask of the drag queen -- who is herself a
substitute woman. for after this wave (of feminism, or even after the
previous) only the most crude misogyny can come to the fore unmasked. here
it is only latent as the exclusion of woman from the scene and the portrayal
of femininity as a kind of grotesquerie. the drag queen is not only self
conscious about the construction of her femininity, she does not disavow her
interest in its construction. she also courts the attention of the gaze,
thus becoming twice castrated: once in her tucking of the penis (the panty
and tape enabled opposite of the fetishistic and advantageous arrangement of
genitalia into his designer skivvies), and again by the eye for the becoming
object (of the male gaze). her inattention to attention -- the giving in to
sleep which reveals her entire body to be the figure of the flaccid -- is
what reminds the man to maintain his vigilance in regard to his image
production: be not that other thing!

the man is an emblem of paranoia: he is always on guard because he might be
watched. and so he is always watching himself. he is his own panoptic
peepshow; and this is the difference between him and the other in whom
exposure grants visual pleasure. the structure of his exposure is
conditioned by a discipline of the body and by the muscular construction of
it as a fortress of impermeability. but it is a fortress that has a face
which still must be given over, this much, and only this much, is a
concession to a feminist critique, and it is also a peculiar and particular
retrenchment of masculinity within the contemporary circuits of vision.

Brad Borevitz
http://onetwothree.net