[iDC] shelf life

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Thu Nov 15 22:53:44 UTC 2007

Hi Sean,

Heh, I like axiom two... but in relation to axiom one - the issue
which underlies my very dissolute post is probably this: isn't the
"shelf life" of oral communication and bodily movement shorter than
all those media you list?

Now my gut feeling is that media studies has often taken (from
structuralism) such activities to have a "natural" presence which
disqualifies them from the condition of media/representation/art as
such. But for me Derrida's "Of Grammatology" rigorously took apart
that distinction - or at least highlighted the danger of that
distinction: privileging speech as the source of writing ultimately
leads to a form of ethnocentrism whereby speech's guarantee of
presence suppresses our ability to treat speech as we would any other
medium; thereby leading to all the hierarchies we know well in
modernism.

So the questions of temporality seem a bit more complicated for me,
hard to place on this incremental axiom, and again, my aim here is to
ask in what ways the issues of "preservation" in new media are
completely distinct from other fields, and where the opportunities
lie for connecting our experience to others....

Regards,

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net