[iDC] shelf life

Cynthia B Rubin cbrubin at risd.edu
Fri Nov 16 03:24:46 UTC 2007

Thanks Danny for your comparison to performing media.  For visual
artists, the end of "Objecthood" is a big shift in thinking.  We
inhabit a world built on Objecthood, informed by the allure of the
unique precious object, with validation by experts who come from the
Art Historical tradition of studying Objects.  We might say that we
have rejected the "Object", but we do not really have a structure to
replace it.  Your suggestion that we find new allies in those who
have already left (or never been in) that world is intriguing.  But
the story-tellers and performers have a relationship to audience that
visual artists do not have, and I am curious to know if you have
thoughts about how we go about building that relationship? And just
to stay with the fantasy of the "Death of the Object" - do you
envision that the drift away from Objecthood will lead to an
increased emphasis on ideas?  Speaking for myself, that was one of
the great things about the early days in the Digital Art world; new
imagery and ways of organizing visuals led to new ideas and ways of
linking information.  Oddly, however, the emphasis on technological
innovation in digital art has continued to overshadow the discussion
of ideas.

Along with the end of "Objecthood" maybe we need to stop thinking of
individual discreet works, which were created in a specific year and
considered worthy of exhibition for a set 2-3 year period.  Like
story-tellers, might we consider returning to earlier works and not
just technically updating but also conceptually updating the works?
Is it possible that at least in the course of our lifetimes we can
return regularly to our favorite works and dust them off in every
sense: conceptually, technically, and culturally?

Cynthia

Cynthia Beth Rubin
http://CBRubin.net