[iDC] shelf life

Adrianne Wortzel sphinx at camouflagetown.tv
Fri Nov 16 21:56:07 UTC 2007

What about Euripides?

Written on papyrus in an extinct language 25 centuries ago, the plays
have been preserved as texts and continue in performances  without
Euripides lifting a finger.  They are also reiterated, repurposed,
reinterpreted and even re-made   (see "The (Re)making Project -
Charles Mee at http://www.charlesmee.org/html/about.html.

Are our technologies harder to decipher/decode than an archaic
language? Are we imprisoning our works when we make them in
technologies -- even code?

An aspect of mischief in my own work as an artist in is to embrace
the physical obsolescence of works by embedding their content in the
context of archaeological digs and lost civilizations. A case in
point are "The Electronic Chronicles."-- stories of a future
archaeological dig which excavates our own culture as if it was the
past . Created in 1994, with overzealous use of newly available html
magicJ ( alignment and tables) and written on a yellow pad on the
subway, it is now inaccessible on a CD of "pioneer web works"
accompanying The New Media Reader which demands System 9.  Update it?
No. It is, in itself now an archaeological artifact. (Its also still
visible on line).

I know these things are painful for archivists and artists to
contemplate , but isn't it also emphatically charming and Sisyphean
to have our work "frozen" in time?. We tend to experience both the
newness and obsolesce of technologies as ascendant through time, and
indicating revoluiton, but what is really changing?

Speaking of shelf life as one of stasis; this is signage from the
American Museum of Natural History, which, aside from terrifying
kids,  lauds the process of decay as life enabling.

"A square foot of dirt in a forest holds four times as many dead
insects and animals as how many humans there are on all of the earth.
If the pile just grew and grew the forest wouldn't get any light and
air and everything would die. This is called the Cycle of Nutrition
and Decay."

When work is buried by its form in new technologies, its wonderful
that there are those who would put their ear to the ground to hear
its heart beating there and resurrect it, but considering the span of
our lifetimes and those of our literal or philosophical heirs,  what
kind of time are we talking about?  Years, Decades, Millennia?

--
Adrianne Wortzel
Professor, Communication Design
Email:  awortzel at citytech.cuny.edu