[iDC] : Re: shelf life

Mechthild Schmidt mschmidt at HouseWorksDigital.com
Mon Nov 19 04:08:31 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

As a constant lurker who does not have the time for a comprehensive
contribution I feel pulled out from under my deadlines for a brief
thought (Eric's comment sounded familiar).

My interest in this thread is not so much shelf-life of my own art
but of the implications of our culture of redundancy and our
expectations from history.
It is not only media art that is threatened by redundancy - it is a
phenomenon typical most aspects of present life, a non-linear life. I
am not sure that future generations of media artists will be as
concerned about longevity of their work. I do see much of media art
to be experiential in their interactivity, much closer to performing
arts (as Danny mentioned).

I started out a painter transitioned into video art and then computer
animation + media art in the 80-ies + beyond. Yet I have not been
able to shed my desire for the physical object, which points back not
only at my fine art roots but at my generation as well.
While I consider my attachment to my early works close to being a
weakness, I am concerned with two developments:

1- What will be the consequence of a lack of historical consciousness
and continuity the "short shelf live" of our cultural productions may
produce? Art is also communication. If the works cannot 'speak' to a
next generation, except for a few rarified preserved museum pieces,
the communication ceases to exist and transport ideas forward.
question1: How can we retain a historical 'footing' in this fast-
paced medium?
question2: Is 'historical footing' a dated concept that we have to
give up like 'ownership' with open source?

2- The democratization of tools for the making of media art combined
with an affluent society has afforded us to work on more than our
survival. It has created a positive deluge of creativity with an
ambiguous deluge of visuals.
question1: How will we make choices what works to preserve and how
will these choices distort the future view of the present?
question2: Are we being self-important by expecting a degree of
preservation that did not take place in earlier centuries either?
What would be the percentage of works preserved as 'rarified' museum
pieces or rare architectural gems in relation to the works produced
at the time?

Best,
Mechthild

Mechthild Schmidt