[iDC] looking for social media scholars ...

Howe, Jeff Jeff_Howe at wired.com
Wed Oct 3 21:01:55 UTC 2007

iDCers,

I've greatly enjoyed lurking on this list for the last several months, but
now I'm hoping you fine folk might help me identify anyone engaged in the
study of social media sites, aka Digg/Reddit etc. for a book I'm writing
about crowdsourcing. The chapter in question is a bit broader than social
media, per se, and is tentatively titled, The Crowd Votes. I'm interested in
the ways in which user feedback is influencing cultural production, as well
as the capacity to be hacked. Is this mob rule or the dawn of an empowered
consumerate or just a load of hype?

Very grateful for any responses, online or off.

Jeff Howe

Jeff Howe
Contributing Editor, Wired Magazine
4 Times Square, 19th Floor