[iDC] Course: The Social Web (Web 2.0: What went wrong?)

John Hopkins jhopkins at neoscenes.net
Sat Sep 1 13:06:28 UTC 2007

>This is a great idea and as soon as my syllabus is complete (or I stop

I'm doing several one- & two-week workshops floating under the
working title "STREAMING LIFE: CREATIVE PRESENCE IN THE SPACE OF
NETWORKS" in Germany, France, Belgium, and elsewhere during the fall,
and I don't have a syllabus.

I am invited in based on personal connection to faculty members who
trust me, and the engagements include repeat and new connections.

I make no plans until I meet the people who are in the course.  I
enjoy the deep fear of walking into the unknown, meeting strangers,
and seeing what can be facilitated and enjoyed together given the
initial premise (title), and a short proposal framework.   I believe
that development of the local voice & pursuant praxis/action is more
important than listening to a host of other 'important published'
voices and following practices that are 'out there.'   I do not rely
on English texts (although most students can cope in second
language), because it tends to suppress what are often VERY latent
concerns (thanks to the 'normative' educational system) and to
displace the local by a pseudo-authoritative unseen Other.

I do carry extra white-board markers with me.

At any rate, Bravo, Trebor, with that fresh syllabus -- I admire, as
always, your skills and insights, and, in the end, your praxis is
more socially sustainable than mine anyway  ;-))

Cheers,
John

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Structurally, the workshop:

- examines a wide range of issues beginning from a fundamental
definition of technology through to absolutely contemporary
technological developments that affect socio-political and cultural
scenarios

- presents a highly-developed model for comprehending the
complexities of human presence and creative action in the
contemporary world

- facilitates deep dialogue on local social/cultural/technical issues
along with other issues relevant to participants

- establishes a broad-ranging, inspiring, and critical context for
engaging a wide variety of technologies

- provides a powerful context for self-development and development of
collaborative activities by presenting and subsequently exercising
fundamental skills and awarenesses

- provides a comfortable discursive space to explore a wide range of
historical and contemporary developments of art and science

- maps out connections between creative processes and technological mediation

- develops a deeper praxis-based starting-point for participants,
helping them identify their own creative sources and tendencies

- involves practice-based exercises to develop personal creative focus

- provides a supportive atmosphere for rapid collective
knowledge-building and collaborative sharing

This workshop will also cover a wide variety of practical and
conceptual topics that address the core issues of remote
collaboration and will culminate in a live event with global
participation (depending on collective decisions, available
infrastructures, and individual knowledge-sets).

PARTICIPANT PROFILE
With an engaged and wholistic approach to facilitation, the workshop
is ideal for students working in any discipline; it is designed to
draw in a wide range of students, from those working with
'traditional' art materials all the way to programmers and engineers
and to project managers and cultural producers working in the
landscape of technological implementation.

*** Specific technical knowledge is NOT necessary, as many of the
topics touched upon are prerequsites to empowered and critical use of
any technology. ***

However, strong technical knowledge-bases are welcome as well as
strong creative practices! MOST IMPORTANT is a willingness to engage
with others in open and honest discussion and to share personal
skill-sets. An ability to focus attention and concentration is also
very necessary.

The general student profile: engineering (CS & EE), media, art, and
design; MA/MSc programs