[iDC] What is Left? / What Does a Distributed Politics Look Like?

John Hopkins jhopkins at neoscenes.net
Wed Sep 19 22:22:50 UTC 2007

>Well OK.

good place to start, Abe...

Musing on this question: What is Left?  I have to ask first, what is
it to position or locate the self in the fabric of the social system
one is embedded in?  Is it for the Self?  Is it to appease, satisfy
others?  Does it provide a sense of belonging, or of being Outside?
Is it a statistical averaging that arises from the obsession with
polls and numbers?  If it is numeric, what does it MEAN?  It clearly
is a linguistic issue, about defining, refining meanings of
collective etymological spaces.  As a result, it is reductive of the
broad swath of chaotic & moving energy that the Self is.  It is
labeling.  Sticking pins through the abdomen and on through a
poster-board, dried out husk, carapace place-holder.  Reading the
label, you will end up placed in a certain drawer by that social
system, that collector of typologies.  Resistance is futile when
these reductive parameters are accepted by the individual and/or
imposed on the individual.

What about the process of letting the Other discover your position
through a dynamic process of dialogue and engagement? Of discovering
the Other from a position of open-ness to the unknown.  If the label
is procured in the first moments, then one allows the social system
to pre-determine the relative juxtapositions between the Self and the
Other -- this seems counter-productive to open exchange and creative
engagement.

I think a distributed politics looks like ... nothing in particular
... except a dynamic community that values difference, promotes
idiosyncrasy, and allows an open flux of be-ing.

In the extreme, maybe the social system labels this as anarchy,
though I would not call it that.   I wouldn't call it anything.  It's
best to simply circumscribe it with a vital praxis...

cheers,
John