No subject

Tue Sep 18 10:10:38 UTC 2007

from Leeroy -- it was clear that the audience members knew the same
jokes and held the same values, and thus was something more than a
mere audience.   The enthusiasm of the attendees was instant,
unbridled and sustained. Given that this was a celebration of a
culture constructed by its own audience, this was appropriate. It felt
more like a movement than a conference.

But, since I am just about three times older than the average
attendee, my reaction is tainted. Oh, sure, I enjoy a funny LOLcats
now and then, but Time magazine covered that meme a year ago. I had to
have a young friend explain the complex history of Anonymous (google
that, "4chan" and "scientology" together), and the seriousness of
Leslie Hall only slowly sank in. As for Leeroy, well, I had to look
him up in Wikipedia to get the entire backstory. (This was far more a
WoW than Wikipedia crowd.)  It was a revelation to me how far outside
the Net mainstream I've become.

So, it's hard for me to judge how important ROFLcon was. It might have
been a watershed event in which the culture assembled itself into one
physical place long enough to sense its own heft. Woodstock, anyone?
Or it might have been
"merely" a place in which bonds formed and themes coalesced that will
affect the future. I do suspect that it was, in any event, more than
just a good time.

I might add that, Christina's modesty aside, the degree of looseness
the event achieved came as a result of especially meticulous,
transparent, organizing by Christina, Tim, and a large, loose cadre.

David W.

--
David Weinberger
Harvard Berkman Center for Internet & Society
self at evident.com
blog: http://www.JohoTheBlog.com
Latest book: www.EImisc.com