No subject

Tue Sep 18 10:10:38 UTC 2007

General Conditions:
   1.  We reserve the right to modify or terminate the Twitter.com
service for any reason, without notice at any time.
   2. We reserve the right to alter these Terms of Use at any time. If
the alterations constitute a material change to the Terms of Use, we
will notify you via internet mail according to the preference expressed
on your account. What constitutes a "material change" will be determined
at our sole discretion, in good faith and using common sense and
reasonable judgement.
   3. We reserve the right, in accordance with any applicable laws, to
refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.
   4. We may, but have no obligation to, remove Content and accounts
containing Content that we determine in our sole discretion are
unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene or
otherwise objectionable or violates any party's intellectual property or
these Terms of Use.
   5. The Twitter service makes it possible to post images and text
hosted on Twitter to outside websites. This use is accepted (and even
encouraged!). However, pages on other websites which display data hosted
on Twitter.com must provide a link back to Twitter.
   6. We reserve the right to reclaim usernames on behalf of businesses
or individuals that hold legal claim or trademark on those usernames.

I fail to understand why people continue to valorize a commercial
service for these things while perfectly equivalent (in terms of
technical functionality) services exist like http://identi.ca/ running
Laconica (http://laconi.ca/trac/).  So why not make a statement and
encourage a move to an alternative service, thus refusing to materially
support a service provider that claims the right to remove anything they
find "otherwise objectionable" and thus potentially imbuing a different
space with the (desired types of) sociality that (I can hear being
mumbled) people will say identica doesn't currently have (and thus being
an attempt to negate my argument because I gave a technical reason)?
This is not to deny problematics within FLOSS culture, but rather to
recognize that there are _differences_, real ones at that, between
services that claim a faux-openness and those that are based on another
type of openness that at least allows modification, forking, and---this
is important---control.

nick