No subject

Tue Sep 18 10:10:38 UTC 2007

internet punditry industry -- especially when online advocacy is
reduced to a series of gestures (those calls to turn your Facebook
photo to Neda, in one very misguided moment) by those same
disconnected elites. But I'm curious about where the optimistically
skeptical middle ground is with info-activism: rather than get caught
in media hype cycles around "Twitter revolutions" I'd like to look at
more "ordinary" acts of resistance and truth-telling. What are people
who would never consider themselves activists doing? What really works
to make change vs. what plays well on Twitter? And when we're using
the internet to organize in ways that enable our surveillance, are we
fighting back against surveillance with more surveillance (or
sousveillance I suppose)? Or is that kind of "activism" really about
the vanity of activism? (And I don't knock vanity or sousveillance
here. I first got learned HTML so I could be a webcam girl as a
teenager.)

So looking forward the conference very much --

MGG

--=20
Melissa Gira Grant / melissa at melissagira.com /

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Gabriella Coleman <biella at nyu.edu> wrote: