[iDC] Yahoo AMP - and Open Advertising Network

Emre Sokullu esokullu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:34:20 UTC 2008

I'm wondering what IDC folks think about Yahoo AMP:

   -
   http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/yahoo_amp_unveiled_advertising.php
   -
   http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/04/07/yahoos-amp-goes-to-11.aspx
   - http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080407/20080406005050.html?.v=1

I think it's a pretty significant move - and as Josh states, it sounds
relevant with the Open Advertising Network idea I discussed on
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/plan_b_for_microsoft_split_up_the_advertising_atom.php-
that's why I like it even more. (BTW don't confuse this open ad
network
model with OpenX.org - they are totally different; more info available at
the end.)

But it's not enough. We need a big open ad inventory - which will become the
basis of future advertising mashups and a fully efficient model in which
everyone can participate as a parameter provider and/or middle-agent. Yahoo
or Microsoft won't do that by themselves, it's not in their best interests
yet, but we can start thinking what we can do about it.

--

*
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/plan_b_for_microsoft_split_up_the_advertising_atom.php
*

*With this model, a web page that consists solely of a Flash game is not
stuck with Google's "contextually relevant" option. It can mash up a bunch
of parameters, or get help from 3rd parties and choose the best option for
itself.*

*As shown above, this creates a whole new economy for parameter providers.
It also opens new doors for 3rd parties for matching inventory with
providers, mashing them up, analyzing and finding the best solutions for
advertisers and publishers. It would also enable advertisers to make bids by
filling out some XML files and allow the best ad to be displayed on
particular page in the best way for a particular visitor.*

--
Emre Sokullu
650.521.4745