[iDC] The wisdom of the few?

Judd Antin jantin at ischool.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 28 07:35:59 UTC 2008

I think part of the confusion is that the authors of the original study
contradict themselves. In their CHI paper
(http://www.parc.com/research/publications/files/5904.pdf) they report
results that support what Jeff is saying. But in a later blog post
(http://asc-parc.blogspot.com/2007/05/long-tail-and-power-law-graphs-of-user.html),
they note some problems with their original analysis. When those
problems are corrected, the story flips entirely, showing that the
amount of work done by the elites is either stable or slightly
increasing. The Slate author cites both.

As I understand it, part of the problem was that in the CHI paper they
defined 'elites' as the top 1% across the life of Wikipedia. But they
realized later that to look at the trend over time they needed to define
the top 1% for each given month, and then look at the work those people
did in that month, and plot that. In other words, they needed a
month-by-month list of elites rather than an all-time list.

My read is that both Chris (from Slate) and Jeff over-simplify a bit.
Even reading through the CHI paper, which generally supports what Jeff
is saying, there are conflicting signals. For example, on the one hand
the 'elite' group seems to be making fewer edits, but on the other
they're making larger edits on average.

One take-away from this, for me, is that we are at the edges of what
these large-scale data-crunching projects are capable of understanding.
In this case, the results turned out to be hugely model-dependent -
something that in general should give us less confidence in both
results. Not only that, but they lack the crucial qualitative component
to tell us what's really going on in the social system. Even very
careful analysis of diffs, user lists, and change logs can only say so much.

I tend to think that things with Wikipedia are as they have (mostly)
always been. Smaller contributors do quite a lot of work, but organizing
it, filtering it, and editing it, falls in stages to more specialized
and powerful social groups within the Wikipedia community. In that
sense, even though the Slate piece ended up being a bit too
sensationalist for my taste, its title is pretty apt.

--Judd

--
Judd Antin
School of Information