[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

David Golumbia dg6n at unix.mail.virginia.edu
Wed Jan 2 15:05:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Tony Fish wrote:

> Knowing Nicholas personally, I suggest you ask rather than offer opinion.
> Who was it that said "War is borne out of ignorance"

it's a brief comment, but I find it fascinating. We should not be free to
criticize one of the largest and most culturally-invasive projects ever
conceived?

And it is we who are ignorant? How much time has Nicholas spent
investigating the history of cultural and technological imperialism? How
much time did he spend reading on these topics *prior* to formulating
OLPC? I see very few marks of such reading in NN's discourse or in
that of project supporters.

Whose war, and war on whom and what? I know quite a few who have
put it in quite a similar way: OLPC is a kind of war *on* many cultures.

Who gets to decide if a project like this is a good idea? How about the
many countries that have refused OLPC--despite which, NN has persisted in
forcing the project to move forward?

DG