[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 22:22:03 UTC 2008

On 2/1/08 18:42, "Sam Ladner" <samladner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve makes an important point: criticisms of  the status quo will not
> change the status quo. For all my criticisms of OLPC, I am keen to see
> something done in the direction of (technological) literacy for all.
-----
Technological literacy is important in so far as it promotes an
understanding of the world and our place in it. Technology is not the
objective but the means. Computational theory is a product (and is
metonymic) of Western thought since the enlightenment.

Post enlightenment (modernist) thought is an ideology and thus the question
we address here is ideological. Will the world benefit from adopting such
tenets as a "global given"? Doubtful. Is the world in the process of
resolving this (and is the $100 computer part of this)? Maybe. What will
this lead to? Who knows...we have to wait and see the outcome of the wars
that are now being fought, most of which are about which ideologies will
dominate the world to come.

To be remembered. The good guys do not always win. Nobody can say who the
good guys are. Whether we like it or not we are all on one side or the other
(post-modernism is ineffective camouflage).

Regards

Simon Biggs
simon at littlepig.org.uk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
AIM/Skype: simonbiggsuk

Research Professor in Art, Edinburgh College of Art
s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
http://www.eca.ac.uk/