[iDC] FW: One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Thu Jan 3 02:40:47 UTC 2008

Don't be absurd.  Having actually worked in a sweatshop, I am not about to
recommend it as a life choice. Having also lived in a rural area and seen
what became of the people I grew up with, I am neither going to accept the
Romantic picture of that as a better alternative.  This is, in fact, precisely
why I would like to see people given a set of tools that might allow them
to extricate themselves from either such situation, or even avoid them
altogether.

That is what I would like to see. But, unlike others on the list, I am also not
celebrating the One Laptop project as the most philanthropic wonderful,
incredible thing ever to come across the face of the planet.  Because those
people make the same mistake you are making - they fail to accept that the
world is not black and white.

Ultimately, my argument is simple.  People suck, okay?  There will always be
inequality, and there is nothing *NOTHING* that will change that, because most
people do not *want* that to change, not really.  Even the best person, when
confronted with the decision of whether to help a neighbor's child succeed at
the expense of helping one's own child succeed,  will choose their own child.
The sad reality is that someone is going to be stuck being a garbage man.
Someone is going to be a miner.  Someone is going to be the girl stuck in the
drycleaners pressing your clothes all day long, surrounded by steam and toxic
waste, with no air conditioning, in Houston, in the summer, working for $4 an
hour. We can't all be academics and webmasters and creative directors.

In the face of this, I choose the only thing I feel I can - to allow people to
make their own decisions and lead their own lives.  I do not believe I have the
answers. I lack the hubris that your "imperialists" have - whether the hubris to
believe that what works for me works for others, the hubris to believe that
others are in a bad spot because they are not as good as I am, or the hubris to
believe that I can make a decision for a person they can't make for themselves.
I am perfectly aware that people's situations are dictated by forces often out
of their control.  But I also lack the hubris to believe I can change this.
The only thing I can do is measure my own decisions in light of how much
positive or negative impact I suspect they will have overall and attempt to
make choices that seem, at the time, to lean more towards the good.  To tell
myself I am doing anything other than that is simply asinine.

As for your "egg breaking" analogy, the eggs are already breaking.  The question
to ask regarding this project is whether it will break more than are already
being broken, or whether it will break less.  The answer to that question should
dictate where to go from here.
-Alexis