[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Dmitry Strakovsky dima at shiftingplanes.org
Sun Jan 6 03:30:32 UTC 2008

Andreas,

Followed your advice. Signed up for the wiki. Figured I should do
more reading before I start posting (to avoid RTFM answers :)
Started looking through documentation again.  Found this gem that
addresses my thought #1 (bring in a Blackwater consultant):

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Guerrilla_Warfare_and_the_OLPC#Military_use

Wow!

POINT: It would be immoral to supply a tool that can be used in this
way to a conflict zone. Or even: it would be immoral to build this
tool because it may one day filter to a conflict zone.

COUNTERPOINT: I think this argument can be largely dismissed. An OLPC
will never directly kill anyone; as a tool, it is more like a
screwdriver than a gun or even a sledgehammer, with many more
constructive than destructive uses. By this logic, we would stop
making screwdrivers.

...and in the meantime we are rolling the computers of the assembly
line.

Before I jump into any list, wiki, forum situation I try to evaluate
if this is a community of like-minded people or am I just going to
waist my breath/time. I am currently of the opinion that I will be
doing the later. The more I read the more it seems like a soft/
hardware project first and an educational project distant second
(completely contradicting NN of course :)

Why is there such a HUGE rhetorical GAP between iDC list and
OLPCwiki? In some ways, I think this is a bigger cultural question
then impact of a piece of hardware on a small-scale society.